• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Sicily (1 Viewer)

umak235

Hi, I'm a birder from Bangalore, India. A few friends and I are planning a holiday in Sicily in late May - early June. We would like to include birding in our itinerary. Can someone on BirdForum help us by telling us where to go, etc?

Cheers,
Uma

I'm off to Sicily tomorrow. We'll be staying in Cefalu on the north coast for a week. Anybody know good spots on the noth coast?
would like lanner, sicilian rock partridge; warblers such as Bonelli's, Spectacled.
also Shearwaters- Scopoli's.
any advice anyone?

Many Thanks
Padraig

Thanks guys.
Just got back from Sicily. To be honest, it was a complete failure from a birding point.
We stayed for a week in Cefalu on the north coast. Alpine swifts overhead.
A couple of trips into the madonie hills produced nothing. No raptors.
a trip to Messina straits produced 4 bee-eaters.
A trip to Trapani salt marshes produced 4 Little Terns.
Mt. Etna had one raptor which I couldnt get bins on because of driving. Golden eagle probably.
Mind you, Spanish Sparrow was a lifer, as I hadnt seen them in Spain.

good holiday, but missed not being by that reserve south of Syracuse.

Be careful on Etna , Magpie.
i made the mistake of climbing to the summit alone, without proper clothing.
when the cloud packed in and my path down was obscured I grew suddenly very worried. minus 14 wind-chill factor didnt help.
Luckily the clouds parted for 5 minutes and I scarpered off the top dome. Phew.

i wont do that again!

hope you have better luck than me magpie.
Let me know how you got on please.

Best Wishes,

Padraig

Thanks guys.
Just got back from Sicily. To be honest, it was a complete failure from a birding point.
We stayed for a week in Cefalu on the north coast. Alpine swifts overhead.
A couple of trips into the madonie hills produced nothing. No raptors.
a trip to Messina straits produced 4 bee-eaters.
A trip to Trapani salt marshes produced 4 Little Terns.
Mt. Etna had one raptor which I couldnt get bins on because of driving. Golden eagle probably.
Mind you, Spanish Sparrow was a lifer, as I hadnt seen them in Spain.

good holiday, but missed not being by that reserve south of Syracuse.

Be careful on Etna , Magpie.
i made the mistake of climbing to the summit alone, without proper clothing.
when the cloud packed in and my path down was obscured I grew suddenly very worried. minus 14 wind-chill factor didnt help.
Luckily the clouds parted for 5 minutes and I scarpered off the top dome. Phew.

i wont do that again!

hope you have better luck than me magpie.
Let me know how you got on please.

Best Wishes,

Padraig

I didi quite well at Trapani saltpans in the last week. The locals say it is more of an autumn and winter site.

Stephen

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back