• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Yellow-headed Vulture (1 Viewer)

dacol

Just to fill in the database. I combined two photos of the same adult individual. Photos are not good but do contain enough for an ID.

Besides the colorful head (adults only, with yellow, blue and red) notice that the neck plumage extends upward up to almost the base of the crown (unlike Turkey Vultures and Greater Yellow-headed Vultures). Also notice the primary extending beyond the tip of the tail. Although this is also the case with T. V. and G. Y.-h. V. the relative extension in the L. Y.-h. V. is greater (i.e, when perched they look much longer winged than the other two Cathartes).)

The photos were taken November 2002 in a mangrove in Tulum, Quintana Roo, Mexico. I used a Minolta Maxxumcamera with a 500mm Tamron mirror reflex lens and Fuji 100 film.

Dalcio

Attachments

• LYHVulture.jpg
    LYHVulture.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 205
Interesting looking bird! I've still not found one. I actually used this example to get my wife to even look at vultures. She used to just refuse, now with the hope of finding this one, she's at least looking.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back