• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Par pool today (1 Viewer)

Not sure if this is a Tufted duck .

Hi, difficult to be sure from your photo, but i would suggest not a tufted duck (no hint of a tuft, and the white patch is the wrong shape), so what is it? My suggestion would be to have a better look at the duck's back, if it is grey (fine black and white barring) then i suggest it's a Scaup, an unusual winter visitor.

cheers,
tony mills

Thanks, I was not convinced it was a tufted duck, didn't look right and I could not see any tuft, that's why I asked the question, it was always at the far side of the pool on its own.

The mantle and the back of the head look exactly the same in this picture, which is what would be expected on Tufted Duck. On Scaup you would see an obvious contrast between the pale grey mantle (which would look much paler than it does here) and the dark head. The paleness of the mantle is just a lighting effect, I would say. The lack of a tuft is not an issue, particularly given that the photo isn't really clear. The shape of the flank patch is quite variable depending on posture. I'd say it's a fairly obvious Tufted Duck.

Agree with Andrew on his birthday: it always looked like a Tufted Duck to me. Shape of head, distribution of colours across the upper parts.

Sorry for the delay in replying, its on the right hand side of the road in to the caravan park between road and caravans, where everyone feeds the birds, not even sure where the other pool is. Len.

Sorry for the delay in replying, its on the right hand side of the road in to the caravan park between road and caravans, where everyone feeds the birds, not even sure where the other pool is. Len.

That is Par beach pool, St Andrew's pool is near the railway station / Snowlands.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back