• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

USB problems! (1 Viewer)

flossiepip

I think like most people who take photographs of birds, I put files and groups of photos on to USB's as a safeguard. But of late I've had two fail on me with all info stored lost! Is this unusual and are there brands that I should avoid or brands that have a good name! I've started to use SanDisk.

USB sticks are actually a rather reliable form of storage since (unlike hard drives) they have no moving parts. It should be possible to still recover a lot of what was on a stick by using appropriate software. Certainly going with a reputable maker can't hurt.

I'm not sure whether there are any studies regarding using memory sticks as a longer term form of backup. But with all backups, redundancy is the way to go. Given how cheap hard drives are these days, why not create additional backups on a hard drive? If we are talking about jpgs only, then it might be possible to have a third backup in the cloud (but I wouldn't store anything sensitive there).

Andrea

There seems to be a lack of reliable life history, largely I guess because it is constantly evolving and existing data for actual life may be obsolete. Constant deletion and re-writing will shorten its life. Occasional minor deletion and regular writing will have little effect as they have a write algorithm that cycles all cells. Reading should have no effect.
5 - 10 years has been published, but in practice I think that just means a long time.
Stick to reliable brands, such as SanDisk and duplicate everything, there is little guaranteed to last forever, except perhaps Sumerian clay tablets!
A few years ago it was determined that a lot of electronic components available at the time of the study do not have a predictable life, unlike the old fashioned light bulb and basically keep going until they randomly fail, giving a sort of linear failure profile.
I have had a fair amount of success recovering a proportion of data from failed USB sticks. Though I now have stopped using them for back up and use duplicated portable HD drives through the USB ports.

Last edited:
As others have said, never rely on one single place to store what you would like to keep. I have a large external HD that I update maybe 4 times a year and store in my office at work when not using. At home my pictures are on a different external HD.

Niels

Hi I had a Sd card fail last year, sandisk were doing a years entitlement to their
System of retrieval when purchasing their Sd cards not sure it will work with a usb stick? But could be helpful for you?
Kind regards mike

flossiepip,
Recuva
https://www.piriform.com/recuva
Should get back your images.
It's free.
San Disk are pretty good.
Avoid the junk we get from the Red Shed, Wharehouse Stationary etc.
Personally I prefer hard drives, a 1Tb is cheep, but again buy something with a proven history.
Western Digital blues are a good bang for the buck.
One at home and another at a mates place is a hard to beat back up plan.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back