• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Nikon ED 82 eyepiece (1 Viewer)

Pancho85

Hi all,

I own a Nikon ED 82 with the 25-56x eyepiece and I am really happy with it. The thing is that a friend of mine has the chance to buy the same scope, but the problem is that the eyepiece is the 25-75x, so he is wondering if the image quality will be still the same, and if it is not, wants to know if the difference is really notorious

Could you help us?

Thanks a lot!

Hi all,

I own a Nikon ED 82 with the 25-56x eyepiece and I am really happy with it. The thing is that a friend of mine has the chance to buy the same scope, but the problem is that the eyepiece is the 25-75x, so he is wondering if the image quality will be still the same, and if it is not, wants to know if the difference is really notorious

Could you help us?

Thanks a lot!

The image quality will probably be the same, but if not, then better.
I've had both the zooms and while the image quality is perfectly fine, I personally prefer the wide-angle fixed eyepieces.

//L

I agree with Lars (great to see you posting again btw!) - if it is the older fold-down 25-56x against the later MC25-75x, the latter is probably the better lens. Having said that, I personally feel that the zoom lenses don't do this scope justice - the DS30x with the ED82 matches the latest and greatest in my opinion - I have the zoom, but think I've used it 4 or 5 times since I've owned the scope.

Hi all,

Could you help us?

Thanks a lot!
The 25-75 is as good or better than the 25-56. A good ED82 specimen at 75X is pin sharp.

The ED82 is a great scope. As has been said, the 30x fixed eyepiece is amazing with it. Some say it is the best eyepiece ever made. I use one and also the zoom to 75x, the latter for ring reading both darvic rings and metal rings and the former for seawatching.

I have used all three zoom versions (25-56, 25-75 and 25-75 MKII). The MKII is the best by a barely detectable margin over the original 25-75, while the 25-56 is about equally sharp at identical magnifications, but has weaker transmission, color fidelity and contrast due to less effective multi coatings. Also, the ED 82 is such a good scope that it benefits from high magnifications. The 25-56 is smaller and lighter, but the bigger zooms are very compact and the difference in size and weight is not meaningful. The 25-75 versions also have twist-out eyecups which are better than the rubber fold-down version of the old zoom.

Kimmo

ED82A performance at 75x

Shortly after I acquired the 75x Wide DS, I went to the Getterön nature reserve to try it out with some digiscoping. This picture was shot with a Lumix TZ40 handheld against the 75x ocular. The camera has a 1/2.3" sensor similar to those found in better camera phones, and the extreme cropping reveals a disturbing noise, but also the scope's sharpness.
Some post-processing was performed including digital sharpening.
The uncropped image is a simple screendump to easily bypass the forum's image size limit.

//L

Attachments

• 1070618screendump.jpg
    1070618screendump.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 39
  • P1070618 (2).JPG
    P1070618 (2).JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Just a related question. I've been using the ED82 with MC30x EP for the last few years, really enjoying it. The DS gets talked about a lot more. Is this EP better aside from the fact it's digiscoping compatible or are they both much of a muchness optically?

Just a related question. I've been using the ED82 with MC30x EP for the last few years, really enjoying it. The DS gets talked about a lot more. Is this EP better aside from the fact it's digiscoping compatible or are they both much of a muchness optically?

The Wide DS series shares the optics with the Wide MC series.

//L

The Wide DS series shares the optics with the Wide MC series.

That is true for the 50x and 75x, but not the 30x. The 30x MC and 30x DS have different optical designs.
For observation, I like both equally. For digiscoping, the DS can have very very very slightly sharper edges.
If you want maximum eye-relief, and if you believe in big eyepieces with a big eye lens, you'll want the 30x DS.

--AP

Last edited:
There are several vintages of all Nikon eyepieces, including the zooms, ..besides possible differences in the quality of the coatings, getting better in the last released versions, the zooms have some differences in performance..The 25-56 has very little eye relief and if you use glasses you will loose some of the already restricted field of view..the 25-75X last and most desirable version,the MCII zoom,has a tad more eye relief and almost worked with glasses ,to my eyes,at all magnifications...Image is very good,except for the narrow field of view,..The ED82 has very long focal ,of 550mm ,and the zoom goes from 7x to 21mm , so it reaches 75x ,something exceptional at the time,and still rare in the world of spotting scopes..

That is true for the 50x and 75x, but not the 30x. The 30x MC and 30x DS have different optical designs.
For observation, I like both equally. For digiscoping, the DS can have very very very slightly sharper edges.
If you want maximum eye-relief, and if you believe in big eyepieces with a big eye lens, you'll want the 30x DS.

--AP

Oops! :eek!: True dat. Someone please stop me from posting in the middle of the night. :-O

//L

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back