• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus camera and Panasonic 100400 lens! (1 Viewer)

flossiepip

Hi,
Going to buy the Panasonic 100-400 lens but rather than go for a Panasonic body I would like to stick to Olympus having used and been happy with them for a number of years.
Are there any issues with using Olympus camera Panasonic lens or would a Panasonic camera with IBIS plus lens IS be an advantage to have!

We are in a bit of a grey area here,first thing to say is a Panasonic body giving dual is is very nice, not had any experience with two EM 1 cameras but they are the only two that stand any chance of matching or beating a Panasonic body with DFD focusing, the EM10 and 5 just cant do CAF.

The grey area now, it could be there is sometimes a problem and i repeat could be as its being discussed now using the 100-400 on an Olympus body.
The weather sealing O ring on the 100-400 looks like its not a perfect match for Olympus camera mounts, there has been a few cases of the camera mount damaging the O ring and so causing small black slivers of O ring to risk getting in the camera.
A guy on another forum is claiming the extra force he needs to mount the lens is actually shaving small slivers of the camera mount.

If ime honest i doubt this but as ime aware of it i need to include it, i use my 100-400 on the G80 and a EM10MK11, the G80 for CAF situations and the EM10 when ime stalking small stationery birds.
I have not noticed any problems with the Olympus.

Have used the PL 100-400 on an Oly EM-1 mk. 1, and mk. 2. I've found it to be an excellent combo in both cases. Dual IS would be nice, but I've found the IS of just the lens to be superb in ordinary shooting situations. Unless you're going to be doing an unusual amount of very low shutter speed or night time shooting, I'd just go with what camera you prefer and not worry about dual IS.

The other part of that equation: dual IS is extremely nice for items that are stationary either completely or at least part of the time. For birds in flight, the movement of the bird determines the shutter speed (needs to be high speed), IS does not really matter. So depending on your shooting style, the dual IS might or might not matter.

Niels

The other part of that equation: dual IS is extremely nice for items that are stationary either completely or at least part of the time. For birds in flight, the movement of the bird determines the shutter speed (needs to be high speed), IS does not really matter. So depending on your shooting style, the dual IS might or might not matter.

Niels

Have you ever shot the PL100-400 with just the lens IS? Personally, I've yet to encounter a situation where I needed more IS when shooting with the PL 100-400, whether the subject is stationary or not. Dual IS only gives you a couple of stops more IS even according to the press releases IIRC. The only times where I've been appreciative of dual IS is when shooting spot lit wildlife at night (I use the oly 300mm f4 for that).

Jim,
I have not. I have, however, with a different camera combination had lucky strikes of photos at 1/4 seconds when the object was stationary. My message here was more intended to bring up that with birds, really stationary objects are not that common. They mostly move and if they do, dual IS or not, you need fast shutter speeds.

Niels

Dont think its possible to use lens only IS if the 100-400 is on a Panasonic body, i wanted to and emailed Panasonic, i got this reply.

As is often the case the answer is never clear cut from these company's

Thank you for your e-mail.

In response, I would like to inform you that you are correct, if you turn off the option from the body, the switch on the lens will turn it back on.

You will need to turn off the IS from the lens switch after attaching the lens and you will not have the dual IS any more.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back