• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What are the best ways (1 Viewer)

MobiusX

to watch birds in my backyard, I have a bird feeder and every time I just look out my window they leave, the whole point of buying it was for them to eat and me to watch. I can see them from my room but as soon as they see the blinds being open they leave, I can see them from the window in the garage with no blinds and they still leave

How far is the feeder from the window, and from any cover (bushes, ivy, scrub)?

Birds like to be able to get to safety if a predator appears, and feel uncomfortable too far from natural cover, especially if that means going close to humans or buildings. I'd suggest moving the feeders further away and close to any dense cover you have (evergreen shrubs are ideal), and then using binoculars if necessary.

It's quite easy to create a hawk restaurant with a poorly located feeder!

Hope this helps!

I'm curious, how long do you leave the blind open? Does it stay open or closed most of the time during daylight hours? I have a bird feeder about 6 feet from my front window hanging from a tree branch, but the blinds are opened at sunrise and are closed at sunset. So the birds only know the blind as being open when they see it.

Opening your blinds is most likely what scares them away, not you standing there. Try leaving the blinds open. And approach the window very slowly. I have a window feeder, and I can see birds 12 inches away feeding from it. If I stand still they ignore me. As soon as I move they leave.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back