• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax 65 ED II? Nikon Fieldscope 60mm ED III? (1 Viewer)

hillse1

I have been searching for some time now for the perfect scope for me. It will be used primarly for hunting and yes, I know this is a "bird forum". But I have found that you "birders" and "sky watchers" are some of the most knowledgable people about optics you can find. My question is about the Pentax Xf zoom eyepiece that usually comes with it. I have read some negative reviews on here about it and most people say to buy a fixed xw. But I prefer a zoom and maybe later buying an XW14. Should I upgrade to the SMC Zoom? Is it worth the extra $? I am still looking at the 60mm Nikon Fieldscope ED III also and any comments on that scope would be greatly appreciated also! Thanks. Eric

I've owned both scopes.

The XF zoom is OK in the Pentax 65ED, but the Vixen 8-24 works better and with better eyerelief. I found the the optics to be good, but not exceptional, even with the 14XW.

The Nikon has good very good optics but is heavy/expensive for its aperture, suffers from poor balance, and has a lame screw-on eyepiece system (only important if you change eyepieces). The MCII zoom is good but is like looking through a straw compared to the beautiful widefield of the fixed MC widefields.

If you want the best optics package, I recommend the Kowa TSN 663 over either the Pentax or Nikon.

cheers,
Rick

One Response?

Thanks for the input RJM! I appreciate it. But, really only one response?!? Is it because I am not a birder? I hope not.

Hello, Are you looking at 60/65 because of weight? If not consider the Nikon 82ED Fieldscope. You can get the Pentax 65 PF II for $749 shipped with the zoom eyepiece and $529 without the eyepiece shipped from a well know dealer with 30 day return. There is a lot of information here if you don't mind reading.
Regards,Steve

yes, because of weight. I pack my scope waaaaaaaaaaay into the backcountry with me so I figured I would go with the 65mm, only maybe with the SMC XW zoom instead of the XL zoom. Then maybe later I would purchase a fized piece like the XW14?

There is no XW series zoom. The original pre-XL series SMC 8mm-24mm zoom is huge, about the size of a soda can and weighs more than a pound. It will look silly on the tiny 65 while giving a mag range of 16-48x. I don't think it is parfocal and requires refocusing through out the zoom range. It was discontinued years ago but can still be found I guess. Grossly overpriced given it is optically about the same as the smaller/cheaper zooms from Vixen and Tele Vue.

The SMC XF 20-60x (fl=6.5-19.5mm) zoom was made for the PF65ED. It is relatively small, light, and parfocal. Eyerelief can be tight too. But 60x is too much mag for this scope, the optics just break down. I prefered the Vixen 8-24 zoom. If you want click-stops, get the Tele Vue.

Rick

Attachments

• Pentax PF65ED 003 (640x480).jpg
    Pentax PF65ED 003 (640x480).jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 319
damnit, I may have screwed up then. I ordered the Pentax 65 PF ED II this morning with SMC zoom from Eagle Optics. Maybe I should have just got the XF zoom? Actually, the sales guy kinda of talked me in to the SMC zoom. Am I screwed?

Eagle Optics has 30 return policy, no problem. 19oz. is a heavy eyepiece.It does have longer ER than the XF eyepiece.
Regards,Steve

RJM's comments have me a bit perplexed. I could have sworn I saw the larger Pentax SMC zoom listed as an "XW zoom" meaning it has similar quality optical elements to that of the regular fixed power XW series of eyepieces. Maybe I was reading something into product descriptions at some point.

I do know that I have read Henry's comments about the Pentax SMC zoom in comparison to the Swaro/Leica/Zeiss counterparts and, if I remember correctly, he much preferred the others to the Pentax. Still for $400 I would expect the eyepiece to be stellar. The fixed XWs are in my opinion but I would agree that I only find the little 65 ED usable to about 45-50x...tops.

I bought a very inexpensive Celestron zoom to put in the 65 ED for the rare times I might prefer a zoom. It is extremely "basic" in design but the optical quality is much better than I expected. Not as much CA as I would have thought and the brightness and sharpness are actually quite good across almost all of the zoom range.

IMO, neither of the Pentax zooms is a very good eyepiece. They are big steps down in optical quality compared to the XW eyepieces. The XF is what I would call poor at short focal lengths, unsharp and low contrast with a huge amount of lateral color. The SMC/XL has longer eye relief and is a little better optically, with milder but similar flaws at short focal lengths. The $200 Baader Hyperion Zoom is superior to either and compares favorably to the expensive zooms from Zeiss and Swarovski (but unfortunately doesn't reach focus in the Pentax spotters). I haven't tried the Vixen/Televue or WO zooms.

Last edited:
Henry, I would agree to part of you're comments about the XF EP. For most I believe that EP would work for a zoom? One has to keep everything in perspective, how you intend to use, what power and so on. I'am one who prefers a fixed, wide field! That being said my scope with XF is tack sharp from 20-35x. So when I'am out and don't want to tote alot of gear it fit's the bill, lightweight, compact etc... The only reason I'm looking for a fixed 20mm EP is for fov, rather than that I haven't found another EP that is as sharp at 20x than the XF on my scope. And I use XW14,10 & 7 on my scope as well... Bryce

I guess I'll chime in with my thoughts, just to add to the mix...

I don't like either of the Pentax zooms which are the SMC Zoom and XF Zoom. There is no XW Zoom. I do very much like the fixed XW EPs and my buddy has an XW14 on his Pentax 65EDII and it is wonderful, really, though it yields 28x which may or may not work for you. I use an XW14 and XW20 on my ED80 with excellent results as well at 36x and 25x respectively. I can't really speak to what high power looks like through these scopes.

Regarding Rick's dislike of the way Nikon's EPs thread on, I happen to like it. The reason is I'm confident it won't come off accidentally and when tightening it one can feel the O-ring compressing so you can determine how much umphh you want to put on it. When other people use your scope and they grab the EP to focus (who hasn't this happened to), it can't pop off like some bayonet designs. I also have more confidence in the treaded design not allowing water to migrate past the mount. If you change EPs frequently, then Rick's probably right in that it will get old fast. Oh, and FWIW, I don't much like Nikon's Zoom EP either though their fixed wide EPs are great.

maybe I will return it, get the xw14 and shop around for a zoom, or vice versa? Probably the zoom first. But which one. For those that don't like the XF zoom, what is it lacking in particular? Also, anybody know anything about the new williams zoom? Thanks for all your input!

The $200 Baader Hyperion Zoom is superior to either and compares favorably to the expensive zooms from Zeiss and Swarovski (but unfortunately doesn't reach focus in the Pentax spotters). I haven't tried the Vixen/Televue or WO zooms.

Maybe I am wrong but I thought I read a thread in this forum where someone made a simple modification to the eyepiece locking "collar" in the Pentax 65 and was then able to get the Hyperion Zoom to work. Or was that another zoom?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back