• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lightweight Tripod and head (1 Viewer)

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
I am in the market for a better tripod and head...right now I have a combo Vortex pro plus three way head. I am not objecting to this but I would like it lighter than 5.8 pounds (2494 grams)or about. I have a Swaro 80mm and adapter and a point and shoot, so all told about 71 ounces or 2012 grams

So, what is out there? I can purchase either tripod and head separately or as a kit but I want something light...I am 5'6" so not all that tall so don't need a tripod that extends all the way. In fact when I have my camera on the angled scope, many times I just lower the tripod and sit on a camping stool, waiting for things to come along, so, not extended much.

it would appear that there are many light weight carbon fiber tripods of various sizes that would support my set up but the head is the thing that weights down the overall set up. Ideas? jim

This is what I have so far in the works...

A benro C058M8 carbon fiber...twist legs, Weight of 2 pounds, load of 11 pounds.
Manfrotto 391RC2 3 way head....Weight of 1. 5 pounds, 8.8 pound load.

Total weight is 3.5 pounds, considerable better over the long haul then a 5.8 pounder.

Now, will they go together and will they be sufficient? I know it states 11 pounds but is it really?

You would think that the 11 pounds is quite a bit under what it could actually take. They must test it to breaking point and then maybe quote a quarter of what it could actually hold. I'm only guessing but they wouldn't quote a poundage that was very close to the breaking point.

Paul.

I recently bought a Manfrotto 190CX3 tripod with a 701HDV head for my Nikon EDIII angled scope. I am about 5' 7" tall and find that it is about the right height for me without requiring the centre column to be extended. The tripod has three grub screws to lock the head into place and stop it rotating loose, which is useful, and the head has a sliding plate to balance the scope. It also has a built in counterbalance spring and the panning and tilt actions are smooth and firm. The total weight is about 2150gm and so far I am very impressed.

Ron

I think you will be way under mounted with this kit. The lower tripod leg sections will be too skinny (22mm/19mm/16mm/13mm) and wobbly when extended. An adequate mount will generally weigh ~2x MORE than your digiscoping scope kit. If you must change I recommend you go two sizes up to C-258 (28mm/25mm/22mm/19mm) and manfrotto 701HDV video head for balance.

I can't say I have noticed any wobbliness with the 190 tripod but I only use a 30x eyepiece and don't digiscope anymore. I imagine for most people the 055 series might be a better bet but they were a bit too tall and heavy for my requirements.

Ron

Sorry, guess you squeezed in ahead of my post. I was replying to Jim's question on the Benro C058M8 and Manfrotto 391RC2.

I think you will be way under mounted with this kit. The lower tripod leg sections will be too skinny (22mm/19mm/16mm/13mm) and wobbly when extended. An adequate mount will generally weigh ~2x MORE than your digiscoping scope kit. If you must change I recommend you go two sizes up to C-258 (28mm/25mm/22mm/19mm) and manfrotto 701HDV video head for balance.

Good information...now how or where did you find that information about leg size? I need to poke around more I suppose but I know on B&H site it did not reflect that. Good information.... I see where the Monfrotto 190CX3 was listed as an option too and that was another one I was looking at.

The key for me was to get the weight down measurably for the dollars invested. If I am ending up with the essentially the same weight as I started with in my Vortex, it is hard to spring forth with the dollars just for a carbon set of legs, ...although I think they are better in moisture etc...I like the idea of carbon over alum though so that is a consideration I need to take into account. I do not want a wobbly setup, no way...so I hear you on my choice submitted. I sure wish I had the opportunity to visit stores and see these things in person~

Last edited:
This is what I have so far in the works...

A benro C058M8 carbon fiber...twist legs, Weight of 2 pounds, load of 11 pounds.
Manfrotto 391RC2 3 way head....Weight of 1. 5 pounds, 8.8 pound load.

I think Rick is right, mostly. Not so sure about the 2x part. And...I would avoid a three-way head like the plague. Medium and large scopes? -video head
Small scopes?- ball head

Last edited:
Video Head...really? How come? A microfluid head would be better too? Those video heads get real spendy it would appear although I just briefly looked at.... ? Thanks,

Last edited:
Good information...now how or where did you find that information about leg size?

I got it from Benro China. Be skeptical of their load ratings but trust the icons for camera/lens combos. A 80mm fieldscope is equivalent to a 300 f4 telephoto lens in size/weight.

The key for me was to get the weight down measurably for the dollars invested. If I am ending up with the essentially the same weight as I started with in my Vortex, it is hard to spring forth with the dollars just for a carbon set of legs...

Since I have to rely on public transport/walking to get around no one more than me wants lightweight/compact kit. Visual-only use allows you to get by with overloaded support but the best solution is just to use smaller optics. This is why the 65mm class scopes are good choices when digiscoping capability is second to visual use.

But for digiscoping, the support you choose is almost as important as the scope/lens. You spent big $$$ for premium Swaro optics and I see no logic in skimping on support that will ultimately compromise the scopes viewing/digiscoping performance.

CF and AL tripods of equivalent size are generally about the same weight. BUT the CF tripod will have thicker/stiffer legs with greater vibration dampening. At fieldscope magnifications, even small vibrations will compromise resolution and image quality.

You want a fluid video head because it will be easier to balance the long moment arm of the scope allowing you to pan/tilt it freely without having to constantly lock/unlock the drag controls and minimum backlash. You can also get by with a HD ballhead BUT you still need a long slide plate to achieve balance.

With your scope kit weighing in a ~2kg, it really is difficult to get proper support that will weigh much less than 2.5-3kg.

Last edited:
I agree....I need a better pair of legs~ ...The optics are one and now for the tripod. Just didn't want to fork over all the money at once so I had this pair of legs hanging around so thought I would give em a try. But I can see I need more.

I really enjoy the 80 and purposely selected it over the 65 even though the 65 was more portable. For Digiscoping / light, the 80 is much better so it is a wash in some sense over portability.

But alas, it does it appear that if I am going to spend the money, I better not spend it on something that will not be worth it and it appears that weight is just going to be something I am going to live with when looking at a scope set up. Even carbon based legs plus tripod will take the weight up. Lots of good choices that I have seen, now just have to make it match for me. Still in a bit of a mix as I look over the choices...

I recently bought a Feisol tripod and am real happy with it.
CT-3342 Tripod - $299.00
T-3342 Center Column Kit - $39.00
I use it with my old Manfrotto fluid head and a Nikon 82 MM Fieldscope and the balance works fine for digiscoping.

I was going to buy the Manfrotto 501HDV head to go with it but the weight of that changed my mind.

Thanks all....well I decided to go with a known commodity so I purchased a Manfrotto 190CX3 tripod and a Manfrotto 128RC. I figured that the "world' can't be all wrong as this combo in pretty popular... The weight difference is minimal (half a pound) but the quality is improved with carbon fiber legs and fluid head as opposed to a three way head.

What I really like about the Manfrotto is that it will allow me to take shots from a minimal height of a 4 inches or so. Now, whether I use that often is debatable but I like the idea of taking a shot of that nature... I will be happy. ....jim

Don't know about the "world" as I have never met any digiscoper here that uses that combo. Sorry to say I think the Gitzo clone Benro C-258 tripod was a far better choice as it's 8 layer process is much stiffer with a CF center column and twist locks will make it easier to deploy and add weather/dust sealing. Plus it comes with foot spikes and a hook to hang ballast from on windy days.

The 128RC is totally the wrong choice if you plan on hanging a camera off the back as you will not be able to achieve balance. There are really only 3 heads that weigh under 1kg that are good for digiscoping with a 80mm class scope, the Gitzo G2180 + long slide plate, Manfrotto 701HDV, and Velbon FHD-61Q

Last edited:
Don't know about the "world" as I have never met any digiscoper here that uses that combo. Sorry to say I think the Gitzo clone Benro C-258 tripod was a far better choice as it's 8 layer process is much stiffer with a CF center column and twist locks will make it easier to deploy and add weather/dust sealing. Plus it comes with foot spikes and a hook to hang ballast from on windy days.

The 128RC is totally the wrong choice if you plan on hanging a camera off the back as you will not be able to achieve balance. There are really only 3 heads that weigh under 1kg that are good for digiscoping with a 80mm class scope, the Gitzo G2180 + long slide plate, Manfrotto 701HDV, and Velbon FHD-61Q

Hmmm...well....I can always try....and send back and get something else. The beauty of B&H!

You can also reduce the perceived "weight" by using a tripod back pack that is a lightweight addition to the tripod effectively making it a shoulder carried back pack. I have one and can walk for miles with it on my back. Not as instant in use as having a "legs-extended" tripod carried on your shoulder, as you have to take it off before use, but far more comfortable.

Mine is Scopac, but their are others:

http://www.scopac.co.uk/

Michael.

You can also reduce the perceived "weight" by using a tripod back pack that is a lightweight addition to the tripod effectively making it a shoulder carried back pack. I have one and can walk for miles with it on my back. Not as instant in use as having a "legs-extended" tripod carried on your shoulder, as you have to take it off before use, but far more comfortable.

Mine is Scopac, but their are others:

http://www.scopac.co.uk/

Michael.

I have seen that in a previous posting by someone....now, how do you even get that 'on' or 'off'...it appears cumbersome in image atleast in doing so? jim

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back