• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (14 Viewers)

Had a quick walk round "The Plotties" this morning (6.30 - 7am) before going to work but no sign of the Bluethroat.That's not to say It Is still not there,as I did not have much time to spare.

Did have a lovely male Whitethroat,singing from the leafless Sycamore.

I also didn't see the Bluethroat today, so I guess it moved on overnight. It was generally fairly quiet today. A Whimbrel was on Greyhope Bay. The only new birds for the year were a singing Chiffchaff along the railway embankment and a pair of Blackcaps were a bit further along, towards the school. Both species seem to be have been fairly scarce this spring.

I've been seeing occasional ones and twos of Swifts for a week now but yesterday evening and this morning there have been at least six (probably more) constantly over the rooftops along Victoria Road. They seem like they're properly 'back' now.

An interesting morning at Girdle Ness, before the rain set in. Not too much was happening in terms of migrants, although a Sedge Warbler was singing by the tree and two Wheatears were on the south bank. Ten Long-tailed Ducks (nine of them females) were sheltering from the brisk northerly in Greyhope Bay. The main action was out to sea, where there was a good northward passage. Four Arctic Skuas went through at various ranges and two close Bonxies were almost over the land. A Great-northern Diver in summer plumage was good and I also had seven Arctic Terns and two Puffins. The best bird was a humdinging Blue Fulmar, which was lovely and smoky and not too distant.

Here are some 'mystery photos' for Jane. They're not too mysterious but imagine if they were winter plumage or juveniles.

Attachments

• GN Diver_Girdle Ness_180513a.jpg
    GN Diver_Girdle Ness_180513a.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Arctic Skua_Girdle Ness_180513a.jpg
    Arctic Skua_Girdle Ness_180513a.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Arctic Skua_Girdle Ness_180513b.jpg
    Arctic Skua_Girdle Ness_180513b.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 79
You'll have noticed that the east coast has been festooned with scarce today and perhaps are wondering if anything has cropped up at Girdle Ness. Well, if it did, I didn't see it. I spent about three-and-a-half hours out this morning and, whilst it was quite busy, there wasn't anything really notable. Lots of warblers were about but most were probably local breeders: 9 Willow Warblers, 10 Whitethroats, 5 Sedge Warblers and a Chiffchaff singing next to the old primary school on Victoria Road. Slightly more interesting were two Garden Warblers singing around St Fittick's - a bird I failed to see here at all last year.

A Common Sandpiper was on the north shore and 14 Purple Sandpipers were still about. I've not been seeing many terns apart from Sarnies so far this spring but today at least 150 Common Terns were suddenly around, most of them fishing in Aberdeen Bay. Fourteen Common Scoters were in the same area, with another on Nigg Bay.

Quite a few seabirds were still moving, despite the light winds. Forty Manx Shearwaters were the first of the year, and there were also four Bonxies, two Arctic Skuas and 35 Arctic Terns.

I had another go at photographing passing seabirds today. The light was slightly better but I'm not sure I was any more successful.

Attachments

• Great Skua_Girdle Ness_190513c.jpg
    Great Skua_Girdle Ness_190513c.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 71
Glad it wasn't only me failing to see scarce migrants at the ness today - cant really add much to what Andrew saw. I only saw one garden warbler, but had a lesser whitethroat on the south bank. Managed 64 species in total today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back