• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with 5D Mk III (1 Viewer)

InVision

I have not done any digiscoping before and would like to get some advice about what scope to use with my 5D. I understand by reading around the forum a little that the full frame sensor will render images darker than say an APS-C or compact camera sensor but this is the camera I have. I have really been happy with images shot with this camera on ISO's up to 3200 with a little post processing.

So I really, don't know a lot about scopes and wonder if anyone here is using a scope with a 5d mkIII and if they are happy with the setup. Also, will a T2 adapter be all I need for my camera to fit a scope? I noticed that Swarovski sells some sort camera adapter, a TLS-800 that runs about $700. That seems like a lot of added expense just for an adapter. I would like to get a fairly good scope and my budget would be about $1,500.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

No scope at this time. I am going to look at a scope tomorrow though, it is a Vortex Viper HD 20-60x80 Spotting Scope. Not sure I can try it out though since I don't have any type of connector available.

As no-one else has responded yet, I'll have a stab...

I haven't used a 5D, but have used APS-C cameras such as 50D and 550D to digiscope. You are correct that the larger the sensor, then the slower the shutter speeds you will get. You can get around this to an extent by concentrating on slow moving/still subjects, raising the ISO and using timer/cable release etc.

There are basically 2 ways to digiscope with an SLR & birding scope.

The first method is to use a standard prime lens (in the 28-60mm range) connected to the camera as normal, then point it through the eyepiece of the scope. Ideally you would want to connect all of this up so that the camera/lens combo becomes one unit. Typically this would likely involve: Scope-eyepiece-adapter-lens-camera. You might also need a step ring to connect the camera lens's filter threads to the adapter. No T-adapter is needed for this set up.

In the case of Swarovski, which you mentioned, there are at least 2 adapters that will connect the camera to scope. The DCA and the UCA. They also do a DCB adapter which is more suited to smaller compact cameras and compact system cameras.

There are good intro videos from Swarovski on Youtube, for all of these adapters.

Swarovski have also recently introduced a new range of modular scopes, and with them there is a new TLS APO adapter, which in simple terms, replaces the camera lens/adapter combo in the train I listed above. It contains a built-in 30mm pancake lens, and is backwards-compatible with the ATM/ATS scopes because it can be fitted over these scopes' eyepieces using special adapter sleeves. You would need a T-adapter between the camera & TLS APO adapter, but I'm sure I've read that for some reason these new adapters are not compatible with full frame cameras.

The other method is to use the TLS 800 adapter, which replaces the eyepiece/camera lens combo. It contains lenses, hence the cost. The train in this situation would be as follows: Scope-TLS800-T-adapter-camera. I have no personal experience of using it, and older reviews have been rather dismissive of it. However, DSLRs have improved in 2 important ways in recent years; ISO performance and live view (for accurate focussing). I think magnification would be lower than with the camera/lens combo, but quality should be better. For some good examples see here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jingbar/sets/72157609644017069/

I know that most of this Swaro kit is over your $1500 budget, but the point is that most other scope manufacturers make similar products, so it's worth researching what they have to offer. I would also look into comparing the results with a more conventional camera/long lens combo such as 400mm prime lens, which might also work out cheaper/more versatile in the long run.

Hope some of this helps

Steve

This thread should also be worth a read: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=77754

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back