• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

prototype Leitz?? (1 Viewer)

jan van daalen

Does anyone reckonize this model.
It is donated to our Leitz Museum (in store) by a man who's father worked in the fifties for Leitz and brought it home as on of the Trinovid prototypes.
I can't get this confirmed by Leica.

Jan

Attachments

• L1000563.jpg
    L1000563.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 204
  • L1000561.jpg
    L1000561.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 234
  • L1000562.jpg
    L1000562.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 215
  • L1000564.jpg
    L1000564.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 183
  • L1000565.jpg
    L1000565.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 170
Leitz Trinovid or not?

Does anyone reckonize this model.
It is donated to our Leitz Museum (in store) by a man who's father worked in the fifties for Leitz and brought it home as on of the Trinovid prototypes.
I can't get this confirmed by Leica.

Jan
Yes, this is an example of the very first Leitz Trinovid model, made in both 7 and 8 power in 1958. The 7 power is more scare than the 8 power, but both are quite rare. I live in the United States, and have a small collection of Trinovids, including one example same as yours, in 8 power, with original case, bought from a binocular dealer in England, who had been selling binoculars for over 30 years, and he saw only one set of these, the set I bought from him.

Yes, this is an example of the very first Leitz Trinovid model, made in both 7 and 8 power in 1958. The 7 power is more scare than the 8 power, but both are quite rare. I live in the United States, and have a small collection of Trinovids, including one example same as yours, in 8 power, with original case, bought from a binocular dealer in England, who had been selling binoculars for over 30 years, and he saw only one set of these, the set I bought from him.

Jack,

This is good news. Thanks!
If I measure the exit pupil, knowing the objective is 30mm, than it has to be the 7x.
The man who gave the bin has no idea of the value. He gave it out of thanks because I accidently helped his daughter with a problem. I also assumed it was a prototype and told the man that if the bin would represent an exceptional value he could take the bin back.
So...... do you have any idea of the value?

Jan

This is the first binocular to bear the Trinovid name. It was released to the market in 1958 in two models, an 8x40 (160m @ 1000m) and a 7x42 (170m @1000m).

These binoculars had the same prism arrangement as the Amplivid ie. a roof prism with two mirrors. It was the first binocular to incorporate the dioptre control with the focus wheel - the focus wheel was pushed down to engage the dioptre adjustment. It was also the first binocular to focus using moving elements behind the objective lenses.

The designer of this model was called Kurt Jensen.

The retail cost of the binocular was 650 Deutchmarks which, in 1958, was too expensive for the binocular to be a success.

It is estimated that between 200 and 1000 were produced.

But..............now I have just managed to download the photos.

this is not the mark 1 Trinovid, whick looked like this :

117217321.KJzsZDDn.jpeg

Is there actually anything on it which says Leitz ?

Hallo Garymh,

Thanks for posting.
No, there are no marks of any brand on the bion, just two square blocks on each barrel where normally the Leitz logo is situated. These are gone or painted over.
The objective lens is 30mm and the exit pupil is a little bit more than 4mm.
As I understood from the guy who donated the bin it was one of the prototypes of the Trinovid. His father, who worked for Leica and who's name I don't know, braught it home in the early/mid fifties.

Jan

I must admit ..........the dioptre wheel does look very similar the the ones fitted to Trinovids.

It is very possible it was from the Leitz factory. Leitz probably purchased other binoculars to take apart and see how they worked and then disposed of them - maybe among members of staff.

Gary

It's interesting to see that there is an IPD scale above the diopter wheel on the one pictured in the 1st post. And it looks like the Diorit has it too.

It's the first time I've ever seen an IPD scale on a Roof prism binocular.

Bob

Last edited:
Your binocular

Jack,

This is good news. Thanks!
If I measure the exit pupil, knowing the objective is 30mm, than it has to be the 7x.
The man who gave the bin has no idea of the value. He gave it out of thanks because I accidently helped his daughter with a problem. I also assumed it was a prototype and told the man that if the bin would represent an exceptional value he could take the bin back.
So...... do you have any idea of the value?

Jan
Jan, I was, obviously, in error; gary and everyone else who posted here are correct---your binoculars are NOT an example of the first Trinovid. That is what I get for taking a quick look at pictures you posted of your binoculars, and shooting you my opinion. However, Gary may be correct in that Leitz could have used your binoculars as a basis for close examination/experimentation, as they worked up their prototypes for the first Trinovid. Sorry; next time I will look more intently at posted pictures. :C

Jan, I was, obviously, in error; gary and everyone else who posted here are correct---your binoculars are NOT an example of the first Trinovid. That is what I get for taking a quick look at pictures you posted of your binoculars, and shooting you my opinion. However, Gary may be correct in that Leitz could have used your binoculars as a basis for close examination/experimentation, as they worked up their prototypes for the first Trinovid. Sorry; next time I will look more intently at posted pictures. :C

Jack,

No worries mate!
When the man brought the bin with the story, I thought F... this got to be an proto, but it turns out that Gary was completely right.

It would have been a nice contribution to our Leitz/Trinovid collection:-C

Jan

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back