• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How old do you reckon these are? (1 Viewer)

wingedwarrior

Just wondering if anyone knew how old my new to me (used) trinnys might be from my photo, and also it says on them "made by leica Portugal" on them, I thought leica were made in Germany..

Thanks people.
Gazuploadfromtaptalk1407046546770.jpg

I think they were produced from about 1983 through to about 2000.

Leica has had its own factory in Portugal since 1973 and this factory was replaced in 2013 with a new one.

Lee

No, sorry. I had a pair of the 8x20s myself, but never could get on with the two hinges although plenty of folks manage them OK, and I haven't tried the latest ones.

Leica do a compact version of the Ultravid and this will outperform yours with respect to colour fringing, but they still do Trinovids in this format and I don't know if these have changed much. I suspect the lens and prism coatings may have been updated but not much else.

But you need a Leica enthusiast to help you out with this.

Lee

Regards colour fringing , I have now tried these for 3 days and give them good test, and I can't detect any at all, I notice this easily usually but honest there's none, even near the edge of field of view, I'm staggered I love looking through them, there just a joy, do you reckon these could just be a good pair or are they all the same? I wonder if I bought the new equivalent would they show more CA.

WW

Can't answer your question but you have a lovely pair of bins there and it sounds like you have taken them to your heart. Why would you swap them?

Lee

I have the BL version of that 10x25 Trinovid; mine dates to about 1996. The optics are excellent. As with most bins in this format, CA is very very low. If you use pocket bins for medium to distant viewing, these will serve you well, but this model is no good for close viewing (under ~15 ft). The biggest change during production of the pocket Trinovids was the addition of phase-correction coating in ~1990.

Leica's newer model, the 10x25 Ultravid is an entirely different design (different optical formula, different coatings, different mechanics). It is fully waterproof (unlike the pocket Trinovid) and is optically much better (esp. w/respect to contrast in tricky lighting). It also can focus down to ~6 ft, so it is a much better choice for butterfly watching (one of my favorite uses for pocket roofs--I mostly use the Leica 8x20 Ultravid). It is double-hinged but has positive stops on the hinges. The focus knob is easier to access.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back