• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just Bewick's Swans? - Boyton, Suffolk (1 Viewer)

lostinjapan

Out and about in the nice weather this afternoon & 2 Swans caught my eye among 60+ Mutes. From a distance they seemed short-necked, quite stubby billed, but oddly the bills seemed all dark on both, just dirty perhaps I thought.

As I got closer though the bills seemed to be genuinely all dark. I couldn't discern any yellow on the bill, although I was viewing into the sun and so I guess some yellow is possible. They appeared to have a pinkish-orange colouration on the underside of the lower mandible, visible when they were feeding.

superficially they appear to resemble two Bewick's with 'colombianus'-like bills or just very dirty bills.

Sadly the photos are quite poor due to dodgy digiscoping, bright sun & distance.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 523
Mute Swans. The shape of their "black masks" goes all the way up to the eye.Bewick's Swans does not have that kind of mask at all.

Any chance you can share the other pics on here? Not convinced it's just a Mute Swan, head shape a little more Whooper-like and angular.

Clearly the bird on the right is a young Mute, but the other bird(s) are not. They look good for the American race of Tundra Swan (Whistling Swan) or Trumpeter Swan although I'm no expert.

Last edited:

I meant that the upper part of the mask of a Bewick's Swan is yellow like in this picture of your link. But I wasn't familiar with american race Whistling Swans, they seem to have a black mask throughout so I am not sure about my first reply after investigating more.

Out of interest how rare is the Whistling Swan in Britain?

Most definitely not Mute Swan. I can only post 1 photo at a time from my mobile. Here is another pic of the two birds together. Sorry if the first photo caused confusion with the young Mute Swan in it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 509
If you open the image in Photoshop and up the contrast you'll see that the bird on the left has minimal black on the bill (less than any bewicks or whooper that I've ever seen) and the rest is simply "dark" because it is in shadow.

Unless there's another photo that literally sheds more light on the left hand bird I'm happy these are two mutes.

Most definitely not Mute Swan. I can only post 1 photo at a time from my mobile. Here is another pic of the two birds together. Sorry if the first photo caused confusion with the young Mute Swan in it.

Birds of this pic does not look like Mute Swans anymore. Looks more like the American race Whistling Swans (or somekind of hybrids) but I don't have experience of those so I will say no more ;)

yes, both swans on the foreground, second pic, definitely have the look of whistling swan while the young bird in the background = the second one in pic 1 is a mute.

Offline discussion has them as Trumpeter Swans and I can't see why not

cheers, a

I can't see any yellow in the bill, admittedly the pictures are a bit fuzzy, and I believe that Whistlers with all black bills are fairly uncommon. So can see why Trumpeter is being favoured. The shape looks more Bewicky though!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back