• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with a Leitz Trinovid 10x40 (1 Viewer)

Golddevon

As title says, I am sitting here with an older pair (Silver Leitz wetzlar icon) and have been loving them. I inherited them from my great grandfather, but one thing is missing. The leather strap is completely degraded to the point where only the connection points are still here. Is there anyone who knows where I could get a leather strap (real or replica) that works with the mounts?

Hi Golddevon:hi:

Welcome to Bird Forum!

If the strap lugs look like the ones on the Leitz 10x40 Trinovid shown in the link below you should be able to use many different kinds of straps on it.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/trinovid/10x40.htm

Leica discontinued these Leitz Trinovids back around 1990 and they no longer have parts for them. I have a Leitz 7x42 Trinovid BN with a green armored body and I use a simple, old Domke "Gripper" Camera Strap to carry it around.

Bob

Hello Golddevon. I recall that the early trinovids used a leather strap with a proprietary lug which attached to the body via a metal pin. Does this describe yours? It might be helpful if you post a photo. If yours is a later version with the conventional attachment like Rockwell's, then you have many options. If it is the earlier version, maybe someone has experience with an improvised solution?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/106408128@N06/albums/72157677438870535

This is a link to my flickr page, where I put 5 photos of the binoculars in. There are 2 of the binoculars themselves, 1 of the lug, one with what is left of the strap, and one of what is left of the strap on the binoculars.

I did not have time to edit the photos, as I just took them. I hope you can forgive me for not only not editing them what so ever, but also for uploading the JPEG files of each instead of the RAW edited files.
Shot with Nikon D3300 w/80mm macro lens 3.5g

I have a collection of that type of trinovid....to the best of my knowledge nobody offers a replacement.....which really surprises me as their are plenty of these older trinovids out there that could use new straps.....

Golddevon, post 1,
It is very easy to make a new leather strap yourself for this type of binocular by making a small cut in an existing leather strap and at the end a tiny hole, so the knob on the binocular fits well. If you have an older strap as they were made in the past for many binoculars: these may also fit.
Gijs van Ginkel

I have a collection of that type of trinovid....to the best of my knowledge nobody offers a replacement.....which really surprises me as their are plenty of these older trinovids out there that could use new straps.....

Any ideas then? I could always ignore the strap, but it is nice to have one sometimes.

Is there anyone who knows where I could get a leather strap (real or replica) that works with the mounts?

Leica stopped offering the original leather strap with the proprietary clip-on ends many years ago, though for a while they offered a replacement composite strap with leather ends and a synthetic fabric main section; but I'm guessing those are no longer available as well.

But to demonstrate the value of a forum like this one, I have an original Leica leather strap, with clip-on ends, in very good condition, and if you'll PM me with your mailing address I'll send it to you free of charge.

Best regards,

John

Leica stopped offering the original leather strap with the proprietary clip-on ends many years ago, though for a while they offered a replacement composite strap with leather ends and a synthetic fabric main section; but I'm guessing those are no longer available as well.

But to demonstrate the value of a forum like this one, I have an original Leica leather strap, with clip-on ends, in very good condition, and if you'll PM me with your mailing address I'll send it to you free of charge.

Best regards,

John

I appreciate this very much, I sent you a PM, as well as hit the printscreen button and saved that moment! Super kind!

I have looked at the photos, and it seems all that is left is the pin for a strap attachment.

The new Swarovski Field Pro uses a pin system, for their new strap attachment.
I wonder if Swarovski copied Leitz with this system.

It would be nice if someone could check to see if this would fit.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back