• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waterproofing problems on Leica Ultravid HD (1 Viewer)

waltertbell

Hi, Just new to the forum and would like some input on waterproofing problems with the Leica Ultravid HD. I am considering purchasing and 8x42 HD or HD+ and just noticed a dismal result (relative to the manufacturer's spec) from the excellent Allbinos site from waterproof testing of these binoculars in the endurance test done several years ago. Have any users experienced fogging or water penetration into these binoculars? I am also considering Nikon Premier (HD) or EDG 8x32 and the Zeiss Victory FL. I have been using a Nikon SE 8X32 CF (and prior Nikon versions) for many years with only some fogging problems in high humidity conditions, and have never dropped any of them into water. But I figured if I am going to buy an new binocular in this quality range now, I might as well get a waterproof one.

Thanks,
Walter

:hi:

Hi Walter,

Welcome to Bird Forum!

As I recall there was a long thread here about that test with many pro and con opinions opined. I've forgotten most if it but you can look for it and review it if you wish.

It doesn't seem to have hurt Leica's sales since then.

Bob

Last edited:
I have the HD Plus in 7x42 and 8x42, as well as a former pair of 10x50's. Zero issues with fogging, and the 7x42's took two complete and sustained drenchings on a Rwanda safari April '16. I also hose them off when in the salt air as we visit our home in Florida regularly.

Attachments

• IMG_1165.JPG
    IMG_1165.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Same here, I use an Ultravid HD since more than eight years, it's been out in the rain a lot and I regularely rinse it under the tap for cleaning. No issue whatsoever.

No idea what Allbinos has done to these the Leicas. The result is certainly not representative. Here and in other forums, you can read about occasional problems with water proofness in bins of any brand, incl. Zeiss and Swarovski. It's rare, but it can happen, and it's usually resolved by the warranty service.

my wife's Ultravid HD (not Plus) and my Zeiss FLs, HTs, SFs and Conquest HDs have been used for hours in pouring rain with no fogging.

Lee

my wife's Ultravid HD (not Plus) and my Zeiss FLs, HTs, SFs and Conquest HDs have been used for hours in pouring rain with no fogging.

Lee

Lee, I am trying to imagine the view through the bins in pouring rain. Do you still see CA if you try hard? ;)

Thank you!

Thanks to all for the quick and useful comments on the waterproofing question. I really appreciate the attention to my question!

Walter

Lee, I am trying to imagine the view through the bins in pouring rain. Do you still see CA if you try hard? ;)

LOL SZ its a good question and I can't answer it because in pouring rain you usually only keep your bins up to your eyes for as short a time as possible and if you keep them up for longer its because you are so interested you couldn't care less about CA! :king:

BTW if you want to see rain you are welcome to sashay over to our little country where it shouldn't take you long to find some. In return you could invite me over to Antone's in Austin whenever there is a good blues guitarist playing the gig. :t:

Lee

In return you could invite me over to Antone's in Austin whenever there is a good blues guitarist playing the gig. :t:

Lee

Can also report no problems with my 8x43 Ultravid's nor has my wife ever had any problems with her heavily used 8x32's. More to the point had the good fortune to spend nearly 3 years working in Austin in the late 1980's. So that was 3 springs most weekends birding the coast in migration and most weeks getting blown away at Antones. And that was back when Clifford was still alive/running the club (in between jail time!) on Guadeloup. It just wasn't the same when I re-visited the city & it had moved to 6th St.

Same here, I use an Ultravid HD since more than eight years, it's been out in the rain a lot and I regularely rinse it under the tap for cleaning. No issue whatsoever.

No idea what Allbinos has done to these the Leicas. The result is certainly not representative. Here and in other forums, you can read about occasional problems with water proofness in bins of any brand, incl. Zeiss and Swarovski. It's rare, but it can happen, and it's usually resolved by the warranty service.

I can second that. I have been under water with my 7x42 HDs after falling of a river bank into the water. No problem with the Bins can't say the same for me :eek!:

Thanks again for the helpful info on Ultravid HD waterproofing experience. I was in San Francisco on Wednesday and was able for the first time to actually get my hands on an UV HD and compare them to the Nikons and a Leica NV. Was reassured on that experience that the UV HD was right for me, and based on a good price for on a new 8X42 HD+ at the Leica store in SF ($1950), made the plunge. I loved the sparkling optical image and the feel of the Leicas in my hands. Of couse having been a Leica M camera user for years, I have long had the Leica equipment affection/affliction syndrome!

Looking forward to getting back out in the field with the new binoculars! I live in a great birding area - Carson Valley, Nevada, near Lake Tahoe - with wetlands and meadows nearby. Great raptor area and some other fun species like the yellow headed blackbird.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back