• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotted Dec 30 in Port Macquarie, NSW, Australia (1 Viewer)

Loutsy

Hi - Can anyone help in determining if this bird is a Horsefly's Bronze-Cuckoo or a Shining Bronze-Cuckoo? Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• Shining Brone-Cuckoo ? Dec 30 17 IMGP5092.jpg
    Shining Brone-Cuckoo ? Dec 30 17 IMGP5092.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Shining Bronze-Cuckoo ? Dec 30 17 IMGP5093.jpg
    Shining Bronze-Cuckoo ? Dec 30 17 IMGP5093.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 26
  • Shining Bronze-Cuckoo ? Dec 30 17 IMGP5094.jpg
    Shining Bronze-Cuckoo ? Dec 30 17 IMGP5094.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Horsfields- broadly spaced bars, dark stripe behind eye, rather browny upperparts

That eye stripe doesn't fit with Horsefield in Menkhorst? In that book it's much more solid, this birds seems to fit plagosus Shining to me in that regard?

Is the bill notieceably smaller in Shining in the field, it seems to be illustatrated as such and again seems a fit for Shining?

A

Last edited:
Immature Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoo for me - eye stripe is less distinct than an adult bird, but more distinct than any shining I've ever seen.

Andy, bill length is not a fieldmark as far as I am aware. They may be drawn with a slightly smaller bill in the Aus. Bird Guide, but Payne's OUP Cuckoos book has the bill lengths pretty much the same, if anything on average a tad longer in the shining B.C. data.

Last edited:
Immature Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoo for me - eye stripe is less distinct than an adult bird, but more distinct than any shining I've ever seen.

Andy, bill length is not a fieldmark as far as I am aware. They may be drawn with a slightly smaller bill in the Aus. Bird Guide, but Payne's OUP Cuckoos book has the bill lengths pretty much the same, if anything on average a tad longer in the shining B.C. data.

Many thanks

A

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back