• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AI Bird Sounds Sampled and Mapped (1 Viewer)

SanAngelo

As a practical tool I don't know what to make of this or how to use. It appears to be nothing more, in use, than an exercise in AI or you need a discerning ear, something I apparently don't have.

The UI is nothing other than a sound map with thousands of sound images.

As a UI it's not the best, there's no scrolling bars on the side or bottom but there are + and - symbols to shrink or enlarge the sound map. The map is easiest to navigate if you shrink it to fit within the browser however, it's next to impossible to individually select a sound image.

If you enlarge the map out side it's boundaries it appears the only way of moving it top to bottom is to left click on the map and drag the mouse up or down. The map also shifts left or right as you click inside the map closer to the boarders.

The default map has all the sound images visible. If you click on one image a pop-up appears with the sound, name, and picture of the bird. If you select the image next to it the sound may be from the same bird or from a bird that makes a similar sound (somewhere in their song).

If you select a bird through the search window all the default images are removed except the sound images of the bird selected. This is kinda neat cuz you get to see the song spread out over the map.

To get back to the default map you need to clear the search window.

Here's an article about the AI experiment.

Here's the AI Experiments page with a 3 minute video explaining how it was made.

Here's the Bird Sound map. If you click on About This Project it brings you to the 3 minute video I mentioned above. Clicking on Explore brings you to the usable UI. Clicking on the ' ? ' symbol bring you back to the 3 minute video.

Okay...that's it.

If you select the image next to it the sound may be from the same bird or from a bird that makes a similar sound (somewhere in their song).

This may be so but it appears the correlation of similar sounds runs vertically as well; top to bottom on the map, above or below the selected bird sound image.

I've been trying to figure this out, how to make it a viable tool and I got nothin'. As an application it doesn't seem to make sense. It's a good concept but as it stands it doesn't seem complete.

I think we're looking at the foundation of a prototype for song recognition. Something similar to Google Reverse Image Search only with sound. As suggested to me, a future Smartphone app; stick your phone in the air and it'll tell ya what bird you're hearing.

The map was developed using Cornell Guide to Bird Sounds: Essential Set for North America. I think Cornell and Google are on to something and this is a glimpse of their collaboration, nothing more.

I don't know, I could be wrong.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back