• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your 2018 Optics Plans (1 Viewer)

The only optic I am remotely thinking about is a pair of Zeiss 8X25 FL's pockets and that's only if I come into some found money. A more likely candidate for spending silly money on a hobby would be a new Nikon D850. I have plenty of tools for birds but I don't have a full frame camera and of course that same lottery would finance the twenty thousand or so of lenses I would have to have to get the best out of the camera.In short its very unlikely to see me with additional gear at this time in 2019.
Steve

Has your overall impression of the GPO ED 8x42 changed for better or worse? I'm in the market for a light, compact 8x42. The Nikon Monarch HG sounds ideal, but the GPO is less than half the price...

The specimen I had had issues. I decided it was not what was set out for it to be, so I sent it back with no review. It had too much focus slack and the collimation was off. I will get another review sample shortly. So I hesitate to say much more than that until I get another one.

My plan for this year is to buy my first set of binoculars! And a set for my wife, too.

At the moment, I’m thinking 10x Hawke Sapphires, either 42or 43 depending on how they feel. But I’m hoping to visit a store with a few options to try out in other brands as well.

No optics purchases planned but New Year resultion is to keep an open mind to the possibility there is something far better than my Zeiss Night Owl bricks of 8x56 proportion.

I may sell my newly acquired and apparently very collectable Ziess 8X30B Safari bins with MOD Special Services ranging reticle.

LGM

I'd really like to look through, and handle, more of the classic binoculars of the past, eg. the various Leitz models, Dialyts, older Swarovski Habicht and Nikon porros, Bushnell Rangemasters (not too likely, that last...) and so on - preferably without having to buy them first. It'd be an interesting and educative experience I'm sure.

Since when did I ever have a plan for another optic? :eek!: <snip>

Well said, and alcoholic has no need to plan for the next drink.

My 2018 plan is to continue resisting the urge to buy a Zeiss SF 8x42. Should they come out with an 8x32 model, I could be done for. I hope to do a side by side comparison of my Maven 9x45 with the SF 8x42 at the San Diego Bird Festival in Feb.

Until then I will ponder the fact that my new warbler book spends the first 140 pages explaining how to use my new warbler book. |8.|

Alan

The SF8x32 is the only possible disturbance to my own optical security - and then only if it's as compact as the FL and REALLY noticeably better. And not two grand.

It seems most people plan more than me, which really doesn't come as a surprise. So when I first saw Bruce's post here about optics plans for 2018, I had none to contribute! But I read others plans, and I began thinking of where I wanted to go with my binoculars for the new year, and the one word I could summarize my plan with would be "outside"!

So, yes, that is my plan, to get out with my bins more often this year, and just be in nature more. So far, it isn't working for me, but I hope to overcome those hurdles (health and weather) in the new year. Just to be in the woods and fields again would do a lot for me, no doubt.

I also want to dig out some of my older purchases and revisit them, since I know there are some very nice bins there I just haven't been using as the newer ones arrived.

So I hope everyone achieves their hopes and wishes for the new year ahead. And of course with a little help from our friends....bless us all, everyone!

To use what I have with no planned purchases.

edj

The exception would be something very different from what I have,
like maybe a true quality zoom.
In 2017 that was the vixen 2.1x42 ultra wide and the 3D spacewalker binoculars;
but not more of the same with only a few % improvement/change.

at some point we must say enough is enough
edj

Last edited:
- Planned purchases. - Sub $500 10x for greater detail during waterfowl surveys.
- Optics that have your interest and you would like to look at this year. - 8x22 Kowa Genesis; I need something small.
- What you may sell this year. - Still attempting to get rid of a Manfrotto head and carbon fiber tripod.
- Possible viewing experiences (trips) or shows planned for 2018.- Magee Marsh, spring (never been in the spring, only the fall) and possibly a new job down in Southern Indiana which would provide better birding opportunities.

- Planned purchases. - Sub $500 10x for greater detail during waterfowl surveys.
- Optics that have your interest and you would like to look at this year. - 8x22 Kowa Genesis; I need something small.
- What you may sell this year. - Still attempting to get rid of a Manfrotto head and carbon fiber tripod.
- Possible viewing experiences (trips) or shows planned for 2018.- Magee Marsh, spring (never been in the spring, only the fall) and possibly a new job down in Southern Indiana which would provide better birding opportunities.

Hi J
Nice to hear from you. If you get the baby Kowas, do let us know what you think of them.
Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back