• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Digiscoping set up DS eyepiece 40/50x (1 Viewer)

wookie7062

Just thought I would show you my first couple of digiscoping pictures with my first setup. The scope is the Nikon ED78 with the new DS 50x eyepice. This lot is connected to a coolpix 990 via Nikons FSA-3 and 990 adaptor. My first impressions are that the setup will work great but the biggest limitation will be the speed of the coolpix and my limited digiscoping experience. The pictures attached are at the widest setting on the 990 to give an idea of vignetting. It is better than I thought it would be at this setting and quickly disappears when you zoom in. The shots were taken tripod mounted from inside my house and a Nikon remote release was used. The seeds picture could have been sharper but the wind was blowing the feeder back and forth so that may explain the slightly unsharp look. More likely it is my poor digiscoping skills. Once I have tried all the techniques described in the forum I will hopefully be able to post a few shots of birds. The main point about this post is to give you an idea about the new eyepiece and how it works for digiscoping. I will try my best to answer any queries. photos exif are the same F2.8 @ 1/100, iso100, focal length 8.2mm

Attachments

• grass.jpg
    grass.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 343
  • seeds.jpg
    seeds.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 380
More of the same

Another 3 shots. I used the settings from the digiscoped website. Normal sharpening etc and auto focus centre point on macro setting. The scope was focused and then the shutter button pressed. 3 examples
Wide focal length 8.2mm F2.8 @ 1/300
MidTele focal length 13.5mm F3.4 @ 1/140 and
Tele focal length 23.4mm F4.4 @ 1/40.

The ball is 9 mtres away and the word football is roughly 5cm long. The shots have been downsized in photoshop to 700 pixels wide and auto levels have been applied. No other adjustments made.

Again not the best subject but gives you an idea. I will post some bird pics soon if any arrive at the feeders.

Attachments

• ballwide.jpg
    ballwide.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 268
  • ballmid.jpg
    ballmid.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 279
  • balltele.jpg
    balltele.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 295
Hi,
I have just receive a 24/30 X DS eyepiece last night, and so try it fast with my coolpix 4500 and FS3, to see what happen with vignettage. When I open the Camera there only a very very slight dark spot on each down corner (why only at the bottom?), so it's better than expected regard the specification of Nikon. That let me lot of room with the camera zoom. The view also with the eyepiece are realy excellent, sharp edge to edge, very detailed and lot more light too, a tireless view. The only drawback are the eye cup that come with the eyepiece, it sit flat against the eyepiece end, spectacle wearer don't gonna be like it.
Alain

The 24/30 will vignette too at the wide side. It is not that inportant IMHO, as long as vignetting goes away when you zoom in a bit. All my eyepieces vignette with the CP990/4500 except the Scopetronics 18mm which has a 28mm thread that screws in directly into the lens of the camera. It is a Plossl type eyepiece and tends to have some CA. The other family of eyepieces that I own and will not vignette at the wide side of the zoom setting of the camera lens are the Pentax XL series. They are optically outstanding, very heavy and expensive, Plossl type, and need some "length shaving" to fit into a scope other than Pentax.

This is a sample take this week end with the 24/30DS. Note the small dark corner that are the vignetting at widest angle of the camera.
Alain

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 406
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back