• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A couple of unidentified waterfowl from the Great Dismal Swamp (1 Viewer)

Terry O'Nolley

Cow-headed Jaybird
I think the first 2 are cormorants, but I can't tell which type - I lightened the second pic a lot and am thinking doble-crested.

The third pic might be a Wood Duck, but this is the only view I got of it - it made a couple of high pitched loud squeaks as it flushed.

Attachments

• uwf.jpg
    uwf.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 166
  • uwf2.jpg
    uwf2.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 170
  • uwf3-wd.jpg
    uwf3-wd.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 187
Please - if you can confirm or reject the cormorants - fine. The Wood Duck, I'd love to have confirmed so I will at least have a photo of one....

the cormorant is a double crested. no real idea about the duck but i don't think it is wood duck (female) cause it should show a more conspicous white trailing edge to secondaries and a darker back. an anas-species imo.

lassa8 said:
Location?

The Great Dismal Swamp is a lowland federal wildlife refuge that lies across the eastern border of Virginia and North Carolina that begins only 20 miles or so inland but is very large.

Read up on it. It may give you an eco-tourist destination!

Last edited:
Looking at the first picture ....i would say that with the wings being set way back like that and the general silhouette ..that you have yourself a loon species ...probably common or great northern diver as we call them over here..could the third pic possibly be a blue winged teal .. the trailing edge does look rather blue on my p.c.?

Last edited:
I can't turn the first photo into a Loon. I'll vote DC Cormorant for the first two (especially the second), but I have no clue about the duck.

The reason I asked about location was that I've never heard of the Great Dismal Swamp. It's always good to put a more general location for the birders around the world to have a better idea where you were at.

JanJ brought up the wing tip in pic 1, which is not pointed as it would be on a loon. Also, in pic 2, you can see that the bill ends with the slight downturned hook - a D-C Cormorant trait, and the bill is also not at enough of an upward angle to belong to a loon. So I'm gonna go with the majority and say D-C Cormorant for 1 and 2, unknown for 3.

Number 3 is definitly a Wood Duck. It is brownish overall, and has blue on the wing (female Wood Ducks have blue on the wing), and the clincher is the long tail. It is possible to ID Wood Ducks at great distances due to their long tails. Also, the fact that it seems to be headed towards the woods is another clue. Wood Ducks commonly make squeaky noises when they flush.

Brown Creeper said:
Number 3 is definitly a Wood Duck. It is brownish overall, and has blue on the wing (female Wood Ducks have blue on the wing), and the clincher is the long tail. It is possible to ID Wood Ducks at great distances due to their long tails. Also, the fact that it seems to be headed towards the woods is another clue. Wood Ducks commonly make squeaky noises when they flush.

Thank you - I've listened to some sound clips of Wood Ducks as they flushed and I', pretty certain that is what I saw. The birds (there were two) flushed up and into a dense forested area - but did not fly above the treetops as they entered the forested areas. I will be using this picture on my 2006 year list until I can get a better Wood Duck photo.

from the fore-wing onward screams loon ...the wing says cormorant becuase it isnt pointed .. but unless i am going blind there is no hook or downward turn at the bill tip..plus the bird is rather bulbous headed and straight necked as opposed to a slight dip where a neck should be .. if you look at pic 1 there is wings then tail ..pic2 is wings rump then tail..plus pic 2 has a far broader wing

Last edited:
harr1y said:
from the fore-wing onward screams loon ...the wing says cormorant becuase it isnt pointed .. but unless i am going blind there is no hook or downward turn at the bill tip..plus the bird is rather bulbous headed and straight necked as opposed to a slight dip where a neck should be .. if you look at pic 1 there is wings then tail ..pic2 is wings rump then tail..plus pic 2 has a far broader wing

:) My apologies for poor focus. It might be self-hypnosis, but I see the downward dip of the bill in the second pic - although the necks are quite straight and short.....

without even clicking on pic 1 and 2 even the thumbs suggest 2 totally different birds in silhouette..pic2 looks like a heavier bird..more barrel bellied..personally pic 1 screams elegance and sleekness the way a diver should be

Last edited:
harr1y said:
without even clicking on pic 1 and 2 even the thumbs suggest 2 totally different birds in silhouette..pic2 looks like a heavier bird..more barrel bellied

That's a bold call to make when pic 1 has the bird in a down wingbeat which obscures the belly...

harr1y said:
pic1 says elegance loon .. pic 2 says dumpy cormorant .. i stand corrected if i am wrong

Pretty sure you are wrong. Both pics are of a cormorant. The hooked bill is clear in both and the body and wing shape are not correct for loon.

If it's any consolation, Harry - pic 1 looks like a diver/loon to me.

The lack of feet is a bit worrying, though, must admit.

.......and it's quite a way from the sea.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back