• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snow goose experts, please (1 Viewer)

Joern Lehmhus

Hi all, attached are 2 pics of a goose that has been controversially discussed on a German forum (Club 300,to be precise).

Some people think this is a blue morph Snow goose, others think that this is a hybrid.

I would like all of you who give their opinion also to describe why it is this or that in your opinion.

Many Thanks and Best Regards

Jörn

Attachments

• gans_fb1.jpg
    gans_fb1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 229
  • gans_fb2.jpg
    gans_fb2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 160
There was a similar bird in Lancashire a few years back with the dark running up the top of the head that was considered to be a pure Snow Goose.

Stephen.

I say blue phase snow goose also. Had one a number of years ago on lake in front of us in NI that attracted a lot of attention. Looked just like this one.

Link unuseable

Hi there

Sorry to p**s on everybody's chips but I'm slightly unconvinced that this is a blue phase Snow Goose although my experience in the field is confined to only a few examples in the British Isles.

Although I'm not disputing the fact that blue morph Snow Geese can show dark running up from the nape and onto the otherwise white crown (as per Stephen Dunstan), I am more than concerned about the noticeable darker neck sock contrasting with the rather brown toned mantle and flanks - note the prominent demarcation line especially on the photo of the bird feeding and facing left. And surely those wing-coverts should be pale grey as opposed to concolourous with the mantle?

Certainly an interesting bird and by no means clear cut - have a look at the link http://www.surfbirds.com/cgi-bin/gallery/search.cgi and look at Eoin Jennings 'Snow Goose' taken on Islay on 9 April 2004. A similar individual but with much more extensive grey on the wing-coverts.

The debate goes on...

Cheers

Rich

Edit: the link above does not work so do a search on Surfbirds of Snow Goose photos taken in Britain and Ireland

Last edited:
The dark neck sock and the brownish tinge were points of concern... to fuel discussion see a collage of Blue phase Snow Geese...

Attachments

• snow BLUE collage.jpg
    snow BLUE collage.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 227
Joern Lehmhus said:
The dark neck sock and the brownish tinge were points of concern... to fuel discussion see a collage of Blue phase Snow Geese...

Hello Joern,

How are you?

I think that this bird is a dark blue phase snow goose for me, Joern...

There are several shades in blue phase: more or less dark, more or less bluish/brownish tinge (but never true 'brown' as in grey geese), more or less extension of white (from head and/or from belly,...)

I saw at Zoo of Clères, France a 'spectacle' pure blue phase lesser snow goose...

Please find attached to this reply some photos of this blue goose, taken in november 2005 at Clères. Sorry for the poor quality of these photos, because in november, near 05.00 PM, night was beginning...

Attachments

• snow04.jpg
    snow04.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 100
  • snow03.jpg
    snow03.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 80
  • snow02.jpg
    snow02.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 100
  • snow01.jpg
    snow01.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Hi Vinch, nice to hear from you! I´m fine , thanks (Just loads of work that´s why I have been here less often). And you?

Your "spectacled" snow goose seems similar to two birds in my photo collage , although the spot of your bird is bigger. Interesting Bird!

Hi Rich,
your link to the picture at surfbirds does not work for me! Any other possibility to see the bird?

To compare the original bird also with probable Snow x Canada Hybrids, I did another collage; attached here:

Attachments

• probSnowXCanada-hybrid-collage.jpg
    probSnowXCanada-hybrid-collage.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 99
And about this one pictured (first and second photos) at this link?
http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~jmorlan/nov99.htm
Very brownish appearance and it is said that this goose had some domestic ancestry... (in a zoo, along time ago, I saw some "frizzled" snow gose, issued from three or four generations issued from a hybrid couple Sebastopol frizzled goose X Snowgoose)

Hello,

And what about these geese?

The first one is an emperor goose X Snow goose, which may be wrongly identified as pure blue snowgoose...

The second one (two pics) was identified as blue snowgoose in the website I took these photos... But I think that this bird would have some bar-headed goose genes...

Whhat would your opinion be?

Attachments

• Copie de db_anscae020505.jpg
    Copie de db_anscae020505.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 103
  • Copie de BlueGoose1.jpg
    Copie de BlueGoose1.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 103
  • Copie de BlueGoose4.jpg
    Copie de BlueGoose4.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 97
Hi Vinch,
concerning the bird in your mail from saturday,I agree it looks odd for a snowgoose, but it is also oddly brownish for any hybrid with domestic greylag....I am afraid I am not sure what that is.

On the first pic in the mailfrom yesterday,I also see this as an emperor x snow goose. The overall structure, the bill and the scaly looking pattern say Emperor is involved, while the white belly ,the leg coloration and the tertial pattern hint to snow goose involvement.
On the second and third pic in that mail I would also think this could be barhead x snow goose, especially if the attached goose had some yellowish tones to the bill as it seems in the last photo
and as it is with the Bird attached here.

Attachments

• Barxsnow.jpg
    Barxsnow.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back