• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Car-park birding (1 Viewer)

bill moss

Hi folks,

Yes I know that car-parks are not the first places that spring to mind when thinking about birding but don't be so quick, just remember that the only Golden-Winged Warbler ever seen in the UK was in a Supermarket car-park in 1989 (and I was less than an hour away around the M25 and never went!!!!!).

But I must confess that my visit to a car-park yesterday didn't turn up anything so glamourous. Obviously (because it was in the middle of a city) there were the usual Gulls up on the roofs but also of interest (and those with long memories may remember this one from last year)was the Spadgers nesting in a hole in the wall. Photo 3 shows the location; you can just see the male on the water downpipe collector and over on the right a pair of joined holes with nesting material just showing. Photo 4 is the male. He was at the hole when I arrived but he wouldn't go back while I was standing watching him.

So OK, not desperately exciting but interesting all the same, especially as this is at least the 2nd year that they have nested in the hole.

Next time you park in a car-park have a good look (and listen) around, you never know.

Bill

Attachments

• DS lbbg on roof, car park 050509 2.jpg
    DS lbbg on roof, car park 050509 2.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DS lbbg on roof, car park 050509 3.jpg
    DS lbbg on roof, car park 050509 3.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DS spadger m & nest site, car park 050509 .jpg
    DS spadger m & nest site, car park 050509 .jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DS spadger m, car park 050509 1.jpg
    DS spadger m, car park 050509 1.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 14
Yes, it is interesting, Bill and just goes to show that anywhere and everywhere can turn up something different. Well spotted with the sparrow. Let us know how they get on.

I always do Bill, where ever I go.
Car parks can be very interesting places for birding. Tesco's has a large population of Pied Wagtails plus Corvids plus others. The car park at the West of England show ground at Shepton Mallet had lots of House Martins & Swallows & Pied Wagtails , don't know if it still does. One car park in Plymouth had lots of Bramblings one year. Which I missed out on seeing.
In fact most big venue car parks seem to have a good population of birds, even if they are 'common' ones.

Aw bad luck with the GWW Bill, I sense your pain 20 yrs on! eek! lol!
I agree car parks are worth keeping an eye on. A lot of shopping outlets can attract Birds such as Waxwing due to the type of trees planted by developers like Rowan & Hawthorn.

Also the thorny bushes in car parks attracts little gems & my local Asda has a Heronry.
Reserve car parks can be good too, Ive seen lots of interesting birds while getting booted and kitted up.

Interesting observations and pictures Bill, how about a car park Bird of the month thread?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back