• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

revivingKensArt (4 Viewers)

Colleen's comment about learning about bird flight from watching 'Winged Migration' stuck in my mind. So when I found it on sale for under $10 at Amazon last week I bought it. Last night I had an enjoyable time sketching from it as the film rolled on. It's a great way, at least for me, to get used to drawing birds that may move very quickly.

Also had a little more experience with that this weekend with a flock of Ruby-crowned Kinglets. Only when doing a quick watercolor from memory based on these sketches did I realize that I had the wingbars slanting in two directions in different sketches.

Attachments

• wingedMigrationSketches_No3.jpg
    wingedMigrationSketches_No3.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 64
  • wingedMigrationSketches_No2.jpg
    wingedMigrationSketches_No2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 66
  • wingedMigrationSketches_No1.jpg
    wingedMigrationSketches_No1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 55
  • rcKinglietsFS101809_No1.jpg
    rcKinglietsFS101809_No1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 56
You succeeded well with the cranes, I've never seen the kinglet,it is hard to do birds from memory, I think, so it's a good exercise. When sketching from the movie, I sometimes go frame by frame in slo mo to see the motion of the wing beat..

I'm not sure of proper etiquette here, though I imagine someone will tell me that there is none.;) Maybe this should be a separate thread. In any case I wanted to post this link to a lengthy article on John Busby which I came across today:http://www.wildlifeartjournal.com/articles/wildlife-art-journal-premium-content/fall-2009/82/the-remarkable-mr-busby.html.

I think there's a fair amount of interest in him here. I stumbled upon it today and honestly I don't remember how. It's at the web site of a wildlife art magazine but since I'm completely unfamiliar with all such magazines I'm not sure whether it's a magazine that everyone reads or no one reads. If you're all familiar with it then maybe this will be old news to you and you've already read the article.

The reproductions are small but I found the article very interesting myself.

Ken

Tim,

I didn't have to. Most of their stuff you have to pay for but this one was free. I just checked it now and it does look like it throws up a big subscribe window at the top. But if you just check the 'Close this Window' link at bottom of that box you can still read it.

That subscribe window wasn't there when I posted it. Maybe after a few hits on any article they throw it up? In any case I hope people will be able to read it without problems.

Ken

I recently got my photos back from my trip to the Midwest, mainly Wisconsin, a few weeks ago. So I've been doing all sorts of sketches in the sketchbook looking for something to turn into a more developed drawing or watercolor. I did do one quick fieldsketch of the sora but wasn't able to do any at all for this punkish looking green heron.

We rarely see soras, particularly up close. But on two evenings we had up to three at a time running skittishly in and out of the reeds about 6-10 feet from us. Most likely I'll try to do a painting from these sora sketches. They're always a real pleasure to see.

Attachments

• greenHeronStudies102409.jpg
    greenHeronStudies102409.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 60
  • soraSketches102309.jpg
    soraSketches102309.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 74
Thanks Tim and Art,

I have been having fun recently doing a lot of sketching. I'm not sure why I abandoned the practice for so long. In any case I'm off to Cape May soon to spend a few days sketching whatever might be around: sparrows, shorebirds, hawks, a few lingering warblers. I hope I'll have a lot to show for it when I return.

Ken

some fantastic little characters on these last pages, I agree with Tim about that sora - superb angle. I also really enjoyed how your cranes came out, a nice fusion of bird and habitat.

Thanks so much Nick and Mike. Sorry it's taken so long to respond but I've been out on a 5-day birding/sketching vacation at Cape May/Brigantine. I just wish the field sketches I did there turned out as well as the sora and green heron that were based on photos I took and field sketches. But they do seem to be getting a wee bit better, and it was a lot of fun!

I'll probably post a few in the next day or two.

5 days was pretty close to bliss, only marred a bit by cold and damp weather and my catching a cold for last few days. But that didn't stop us from getting out for about 8 hours a day. One of the beauties of the Cape May area is that there are so many different birds there and so much different habitat within an hours drive. So we reallly saw a lot.

I'm always torn about what to show here. My fieldsketches are really undeveloped compared to so much of what I see here. But those better sketches do serve as an inspiration. In any case I was going to show only the better of my stuff from this trip but then decided to just show it all. We've had little sun here recently and suddenly I can't seem to focus my camera any more so these aren't the best of photos.

Included in this bunch are: common eiders, northern pintail, american shoveler, ring-necked duck, american coot, peregrine and merlin, hooded merganser, lesser yellowlegs and short-billed dowitcher among others.

Attachments

• capeMayFS_No1.jpg
    capeMayFS_No1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 51
  • capeMayFS_No2.jpg
    capeMayFS_No2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 52
  • capeMayFS_No3.jpg
    capeMayFS_No3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 56
  • capeMayFS_No4.jpg
    capeMayFS_No4.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 45
  • capeMayFS_No5.jpg
    capeMayFS_No5.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 46
The second batch of sketches includes: american avocet, ruddy duck, many dunlins (whose bill I just could never get right!), black-crowned night herons both immature and mature, semi-palmated plover, another northern pintail, more common eiders and a western sandpiper.

I do have to say that I started on this forum in late June of this year. And I really thought it would help me to get out and do more work from life. This week's vacation proved that that is exactly what happened. I've gotten where working from life is starting to seem natural. It was a great pleasure and even my wife is starting to enjoy it as well. Thanks to all for your encouragement.

Now that colder weather is starting to arrive my guess is that I'll do far fewer fieldsketches but instead more developed studio work that hopefully shows some of what I've been learning from the field.

Attachments

• capeMayFS_No6.jpg
    capeMayFS_No6.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 57
  • capeMayFS_No7.jpg
    capeMayFS_No7.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 52
  • capeMayFS_No8.jpg
    capeMayFS_No8.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 47
  • capeMayFS_No9.jpg
    capeMayFS_No9.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 46
  • capeMayFS_No10.jpg
    capeMayFS_No10.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 42
Much too early for long winter nights in my book but what can you do! Nature marches to it's own drummer. I really haven't done much studio work in awhile to it's nice to have something to work from. And now with the 15 minute limit on my watercolors I should really speed along..............:)

Just a quick shout for this latest traunch of drawings. The level is certainly increasing and the joy is also very apparent. Looks like the hard work is really starting to reap some rewards.

timwootton;1635995... and the joy is also very apparent. [/QUOTE said:
I've always thought that's one of the most important things that art can get across, and what makes it so valuable to so many people. It's hard for me to see my own work as accomplishing that, at least my bird art, but I couldn't be happier if that is actually the case!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back