• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Index for ID Q&A (2 Viewers)

An absolutely great job you are doing Jane...
Here's a few comments and threads that seem to be missing:

Missing: Imm. Roadside Hawk from Brazil:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=6948
A long way down on the same thread there's also a Hook-billed Kite, though no real argument why.
**Added later. Just looked at what someone id'ed as a Hook-billed Kite. It isn't!!! It also shows Roadside Hawk, but this time two adults (right pic. perhaps an imm.). I'll place a thread there.

Missing: Pale-vented Pigeon (a Neotropical species):
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=16000

You've placed "Blue and Yellow Tanager" under Vireos by mistake... It is also still present in the un-id'ed list.

"Great Egret/thread] Ibis and Limpkin" links to a thread about Great White Egret with a short note on id'ing it from Great White Heron. Nothing about Limpkins or Ibises.

Similar thing can be said about "Martial Eagle[/b]• vultures [thread=12882]Ruppell's Vulture". Presumeably the Vulture link "disappeared" into the Eagle link. It leads to the Martial Eagle discussion.

The "Unidentified Nightjar" is placed both among id'ed and un-id'ed.

Regarding groupings: Only one that bugs me a bit is that Azara's Spinetail is placed in "New World Warblers and similar". At least it should be placed in a sub-group. It took me quite a while to find it, as it doesn't look anything like a New World Warbler, and the ovenbirds (the family that includes spinetails) are un-related to them.

Finally, perhaps somewhat inappropriate for your list as the exact species of Woodcreeper on the photo's isn't identified (and isn't possible to id for sure). But, if people would just note the things listed, they would be able to id (almost) every single species in this rather hard Neotropical family without to many problems; no matter if seen in Peru, Venezuela, Costa Rica or elsewhere.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=16106

If choosing to include this last thread, it would be logical to place it together with Azara's Spinetail. Ovenbirds and Woodcreepers look rather similar, the two families are found in roughly the same countries, and they are closely related.

Anyways, what a pleasure it is that someone is actually willing to spend the amount of time on making a id-list. THANK YOU!

Last edited:
Rasmus - thanks... I was feeling guilty about the spinetail - but didn't really know where to put it and I'm trying to avoid having one link main branches... if that makes sense.

I wanted to put gnatcatchers in with old world warblers but though that people would never find them there!

For now I'm going to leave the tanagers and vieros together there are so few of either.

The Egret was a missing bracket - I've got code blind recently! The eagle was the wrong end command!

Any more suggestions for improvment welcome! I have the links saved on a mind map so it actually really easy to reorganise!

Last edited:
Jane, you've spelt "martins" with two Ns in the sub-title "Swallows and Martins"
Sorry but I thought you might want to know ;)

good job though.....now i've just got to find the time to digest all the Pipit threads!

Wow Jane! The list just keep on growing!

Anyways, two minor corrections:
1) You've placed the thread on Woodcreeper under "near-passerines". The familiy of Woodcreepers (Dendrocolaptidae) ARE passerines, most closely related to Ovenbirds (Furnariidae). Spinetails (incl. Azara's featured on the id-list) belongs to the family called Ovenbirds, so you don't have to write "Ovenbirds and Spinetails". "Ovenbirds" would cover. It would be adviceable to place the Woodcreepers together with the Ovenbirds. I.e. New World Warblers, Ovenbirds & Woodcreepers.
2) The Blue-and-Yellow Tanager is placed under Vireos. Yes, the main group is "Tanagers & Virieos", but in the sub-groups, you've placed it under "Vireos" by mistake, not under "Tanagers".

Also been looking at the "Kingbird sp." but I keep on changing my mind on the id! I'll (...probably...) look into it later.

Cheers,
Rasmus Boegh

Last edited:
Jane,

One small remark on this excellent thread: when you click on "Western Sandpiper" you arrive somewhere but not on a Western Sandpiper. Maybe you could investigate this?

Peter

Thanks.. there are bound to be a few of those.... I got thread blind once or twice.... the real challenge will of course be finding it again!

I lost the original of this when my hard drive died :(

Fortunately it was a cut an past job to recover it... there are a few bugs in it... but its up to date I hope

A powerful amount of work has gone into this Jane. Shaping up to be a brilliant resource. :clap:
Followed a few links leading to some cracking debates.........ahhh, nostalgia.
Whatever happened to Spud- his expertise & rather dry humour was a real asset to the forum.

Jane, there is a small bug at the North American Buteos. When you go over it, the linking lights up but the Purple Swamphen above it also lights up and when you click on the Buteo you get the Swamphen.

Peter

it was a missing back-slash...! This is now a 25 page Word document and its phenomenally hard to spot missing code!

Any more faults please shout! I only tend to spot the catastophic ones

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back