• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Index for ID Q&A (1 Viewer)

Just a few corrections I spotted!

In the "Unidentified and contentious birds" bit, theres a link to "Honey Buzzard and Common Buzzard", but the link leads to a thread about a Merlin instead.

In the "Orioles, Starlings, Blackbirds Cowbirds etc" section, in the Blackbirds bit there's meant to be a link to "another", but the code is there and you can't click on the link.

Those were the 2 main ones I spotted, also mis-spelling of the category "Swifts" it says at the moment "switfs", and the category "White-Eyes" says at the moment "[White-eyes".

:)

Hi Jane,
I joined bird forum recently. I am doing something similar for bird identification. I guess you put links to birds in birdforum, which is very labor intensive. What I am doing is a little bit different. I collect pictures from internet and load to my computer. The program that I wrote do the rest. Difficult part of my approach is finding pictures. If I had 15000 bird pictures, program would develope web pages in six hours. Please visist my web page at www.pc-zoo.com. I am open to suggestion to improve this web site.

Regards
Kush :)

Having read the beginning of Jane's massive thread,and having read the last page ,and now this page,I have a bird to ID,how to I go about it,using your new ID thread ,please Jane.I cannot click on any bird,even if I knew where to click,as I do not know what the bird is,or is this thread just for the fact that if one wants to know what a particular species looks like,one just clicks on the species,but one cannot display a pic of a bird and ask what it is.Have I got this correct ,Jane,please?.

I think I have sussed it now ,Jane,one goes to page 1,tries to find the bird species nearest to the bird one needs to identify,then one scrolls down the list,and one is able to find a picture of the bird in the gallery,am I correct.?.You have certainly put some time and effort into this Jane,your lists are very impressive.

christineredgate said:
I think I have sussed it now ,Jane,one goes to page 1,tries to find the bird species nearest to the bird one needs to identify,then one scrolls down the list,and one is able to find a picture of the bird in the gallery,am I correct.?.You have certainly put some time and effort into this Jane,your lists are very impressive.

I may very well be wrong, but I am not sure the massive task put into the list by Jane was primarily ment as a help for people with no idea what bird they are looking at. It is rather if you have an idea what it might be, you will see that these old threads gives clues on how to ID a species from similar looking species. This is very usefull in (among others) waders, where many related species can be very hard to separate...
Of course it is possible to go through the list species by species until you find something that is similar; I doubt this is very effecient, though!

Thanks, Rasmus for the e-mail. When I do my release this sunday, most of the birds will go proper places. I know I have to improve my web page, but it is difficult to work 10 hours a day, than maintain the page. I will improve my web page whenever I have time, for the time being please drop me e-mail. At www.pc-zoo.com you can search birds by scientific name, common name or contributors name. Just go to search screen and enter "southam", you will get the names of the birds and link to the picture contributed by neil southam.
Thanks for the detailed e-mail

Yes chaps.. this is mostly help for when you know approximately what you are looking for... it just links to previous threads.... and to some degree removes the need for the people helping with the ID repeating themselves... I started when I'd typed out how to tell Meadow Pipit from Tree Pipit for the 5th time!

I also hope it weeds out some of the Farmyard ducks and goose requests

No I've let it drop for a bit. I had a computer crash which means I have to cut and paste the whole post and put it back into the mind-map i generated it it in order to have a fighting change of editing it successfully. One day I'll feel compelled to do it, but its about 25 pages of code!

ok.. the map is reconstructed and I've even added in a few of the more interesting recent threads. It will take eons to track back to April 2004 to catch all the best threads, but I will. Evenually. In the mean time, if people know of any particuarly useful ones, please let me know and I'll add them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back