• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon S95 for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Guys

Can I ask please.... re the S95

When using it for digiscoping do you use any form of cable release for firing the shutter or just the shutter button??

Thank you in advance
David

Guys

Can I ask please.... re the S95

When using it for digiscoping do you use any form of cable release for firing the shutter or just the shutter button??

Thank you in advance
David
I started with a cable remote control mounted with a velcro, but unfortunately the velcro is obstructing the zoom control and some of the controls on the rear of the camera body and gave up after a short time.

I therefore use the timer, preset on one second delay and shooting a sequence (found 3 shots usually a good compromise between waste and likelihood of getting a decent shot).

Firing manually may work, but due to high risk of blur due to camera shake, shooting a sequence is highly recommended. Second shot and beyond should be sharp.

/Tord

Hi, can I ask how you change the timer from the default 10 seconds to 1 second, I can see how you change the number of shots but not the actual timer.

Hi, can I ask how you change the timer from the default 10 seconds to 1 second, I can see how you change the number of shots but not the actual timer.

Use the front lens ring, and, as you said, the rear one to control the number of shots.

Don't forget to save this setting in the menu, or it will revert back to 10 seconds next time you use the camera.

Last edited:
I really like the cable release, almost indispensible. When I get the bird in focus, press fully and let the good times roll until not seen in monitor. To set it up isn't that big a deal and it sure pays with results.

Jackar adapter is also available from ebay:

Steve,
I see it's available from Hong Kong. I'm going over to Mongkok for dim sum lunch today so I'll look around for this. I need an adapter for the Panasonic FX68 but I'll I want to get the S95 so I'll pick up the adapter for it too.
I like your mods.
Neil

Hi Neil,

I'm also trying to find this adapter in Hong Kong. Would you please let me know the shop name in Mongkok if you found it.

Cheers,
Davis

The light has improved in the UK and I have managed to get out with my S95. With the right settings it is taking pictures almost as nice as the 7D.

Here is a Tawny Owl that was prepared to pose for me. |:d|

Attachments

• IMG_0691_675px.jpg
    IMG_0691_675px.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 373
This thread has been very useful so thanks Steve in particular!
What do you use to connect the Jackar adapator to the lens of the scope itself? I've always hand held for digiscoping before so all this is new to me.

I use a simple step down ring - my Baader 13mm has 42 mm threads so after a couple of false starts when I managed to get thread sizes wrong and then buy a step rather than a step down ring I'm sorted. The technique for screwing onto the lens is to loosen the locking collet on my PF65ED scope so that the lens (with step down ring in place) can screw into the adaptor - that way you're not rotating the camera/adaptor combination which would be very awkward.

This thread has been very useful so thanks Steve in particular!
What do you use to connect the Jackar adapator to the lens of the scope itself? I've always hand held for digiscoping before so all this is new to me.

I use a Swarovski DCA adapter:

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-Swarovski-Digital-Camera-Adaptor/p1002355?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=swarovski%20DCA&utm_campaign=F%20Spotting%20Scopes%20/%20Digiscoping&cm_mmc=google%20Warehouse%20Express%20-%20Binoculars%20%26%20Scopes-_-F%20Spotting%20Scopes%20/%20Digiscoping-_-Swarovski%20Swarovski%20Digital%20Camera%20Adaptor%20Dca-_-swarovski%20DCA

If you are not sure what this is, it basically allows a 'quick-release' connection between the Jackar Adapter and the scope's eyepiece. It has an inner and outer sleeve. The inner part stays attached to the eyepiece, and the outer part remains attached to the camera/adapter. The outer sleeve slides quickly over the inner part and is secured by a single screw.

There is a picture of it all connected up in post 28 of this thread, (pic 2, and again in pic 5)
A cheaper method might be to use John's method, utilising a step-ring directly to an eyepiece thread such as on the Baader eyepieces, but you would lose the rapid removal function which I find invaluable for birding.

Below is a video demonstrating the DCA with a DSLR camera. You can also connect a compact camera using the same method, but most modern compact cameras lack any form of lens threads, hence the use of the Jackar Adapter to hold the camera via it's tripod thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acsu332q9w4

And the DCA with a compact camera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoDE_MbgtJg&feature=related

Last edited:
Well, I've been playing with the scope and an identical set-up to Steve (thanks so much for making it so idiot-proof!) in admittedly pretty nice weather this afternoon. I'm really pleased with the results compared to my previous hand-held approach. I shouldn't be surprised really I suppose ;)

The pictures were taken of birds on a neighbour's roof - the Mallard has a female on eggs in the border next to our pond :t: I've cropped slightly.

Now I need to practise, practise, practise.

edit: these are taken through a Swarovski 65, zoom eyepiece at 20x (low end of zoom range)

Attachments

• mallard.jpg
    mallard.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 316
  • collareddove.jpg
    collareddove.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 288
  • collareddoves.jpg
    collareddoves.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 204
  • magpie.jpg
    magpie.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
Over the last year I was pretty active DS'ing with my Kowa 883 and Sony w300, last fall I built my adapter for the s95 and around the beginning of '11 started using it. Second time out I had a slip on the ice that broke my scope but its fixed now and a week ago I got back on the bicycle.

Weather has been terrible but when these shots were taken there was some sun, The EXIF data shows the rodent at a slow 1/5 second but it was in a dark shaded area and pic is surprisingly sharp. All 3 pics were taken in Raw and processed in DPP, interesting to note the EXIF says Photoshop on one but that must be because I only used it for a slight crop.

Attachments

• IMG_1463ps.jpg
    IMG_1463ps.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_1468.JPG
    IMG_1468.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_1575.JPG
    IMG_1575.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 307
Just a short update on my venture with the s95 and I'll have to say I'm still liking it. My typical routine is to shoot only in RAW and develop in DPP. My last discovery in DPP is in raw tab where instead of using just the sharpness set to full I'm also using the Unsharp Mask. With strength10, Fineness1 and Threshold 0 the image will become noisey but a copy layer and gauzian blurr fixes that. So far I've only used the copy layer with large crops and then its surprising how good it looks for a 10MP P&S.

My hit rate declined with Servo AF on so I now have it off, I think this is better for birding since its quicker with button pressed halfway to compose and shoot than using the lock.

Anyone else make any neat discoveries?

Joe

Last edited:
Well, I've been playing with the scope and an identical set-up to Steve (thanks so much for making it so idiot-proof!) in admittedly pretty nice weather this afternoon. I'm really pleased with the results compared to my previous hand-held approach. I shouldn't be surprised really I suppose ;)

The pictures were taken of birds on a neighbour's roof - the Mallard has a female on eggs in the border next to our pond :t: I've cropped slightly.

Now I need to practise, practise, practise.

edit: these are taken through a Swarovski 65, zoom eyepiece at 20x (low end of zoom range)[

You should be happy with those.
Neil

I agree with Neil, these are excellent first pictures Jonathan.

I haven't done much digiscoping recently unfortunately, but like Josef I have been using DPP which I'm finding quite good. If I want a very quick result I use Picasa, which I still find best in terms of ease of use and speed if you don't want to invest too much time, but for jpegs only.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back