• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Trinovid BN 8x32 (1 Viewer)

flipbird1940

flipbird1940
Years ago, when my dad was still alive, he bought me a Leica Trinovid BN 8x32. I can count the number of times I used it on the fingers of my two hands.

I'm not a birder, although we do visit Monte Vista, Colorado, about 45 minutes drive from our home to watch the bird migration in March, which attracts visitors from all over the country and is indeed spectacular. Oddly however, I never bring the binoculars. Guess I'm just not a binocular person, although I'm a visual artist.

One of the rare times I used these binoculars was several years ago when what appeared to be a great horned owl perched on a high branch of a tree about 200 feet from our living room, which is on the upper floor with great views. As I focused in on this magnificent bird, it took off and began flying in my direction. Even though I was inside our house, it was so overwhelming to watch the owl through the binoculars flying straight at me that I was actually afraid it would hit me! When it came within 25-30 feet of the window, it swerved suddenly and landed on our deck. Thanks to the Leica, I had an amazing detailed view of the very large great horned owl.

So here's my point. I'm thinking of selling the Leica, and since I'm a newbie to the forum, if I do, I'll wait till I have the required number of posts. My question to you all is this: how do you think this model, which is no longer in production, stacks up against the latest equivalent Leica models? Will people be interested in them or consider that they have been surpassed by the newer models? If so, I probably wouldn't get a decent price, so I'd hold on to them & perhaps learn to use them more often then pass them on to my grandson. They certainly are beautiful to look at, wonderful to hold and, in those rare moments I actually use them, very sharp & bright.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Hello Flipbird,

The 8x32 BN is a very good binocular. There are many on BF who would be happy to own and use one bit it has been surpassed by recent innovations. Its internal mirrored surfaces are not dielectric coatings, which provide more reflection and a flatter spectrum. The current binoculars use FL/EDS/HD lenses which cut chromatic aberration.
My advice is to follow ebay and see what prices they fetch.
Leica binoculars are very well made and last for years. You should also try some astronomical observations with them: Orion and the Milky Was should be terrific in dark skies.

Happy observing,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Last edited:
Gift from your dad, can be passed on to your grandson. What on earth are you thinking??

So you get a few hundred bucks for them and then what? A family keepsake gone.

That is a good point, but many youth today, only look at their phones.

I would hate to waste any Leica that way. It does not hold any special
value to the poster anyway.

I would just sell it and move on. Looking for a value of a nice lightly
used Leica 8x32. It is in the $600. range.

Jerry

I have these same binoculars and they perform very well up against the most modern models. Very minuscule difference. On average a pair in mint condition sells for around $750 or so.

Me personally I'd suggest you hold on to them if you aren't strapped for cash. They meant something to your dad and he wanted you to have them. As you get older you may develop an interest in nature, astronomy, birds, hunting, people watching or whatever, and its always good to have a nice pair of binoculars to own. Your tastes may ange over the decades and you may find yourself regeretting our decision to sell them. No matter what new technology comes along, these will always be a great pair of binoculars.

That particular binocular has a lot of fans. If you only have one binocular for general and infrequent use I can't think of a better one to own. It is lightweight, rugged and probably still has it's "Passport" warranty.

If you got one that came with the small, zippered lightweight leather case it adds to the value of your binocular. You can keep it on the straps and use it in place of bulky objective and eye piece covers.

I would keep it. Even if you don't use it often. Everybody needs a binocular and you already have an excellent one which is suitable for numerous activities. It's on the small side for an 8 x 32 which makes it very portable.

After you read all the comments here I predict that if you do sell it there will come times in the future when you will wish you had not sold it.

It's long discontinued but here is a nice article about it:

http://www.company7.com/leica/lei32.html

Bob

Last edited:
Greetings. Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN is an excellent pair of binoculars in terms of function and form. And although may not be as bright, or sharp as the Zeiss FL 8x32 (in a side-by-side comparison), it has a very solid performance and other endearing characteristics in handling that makes it the first choice for any walk or hike. In mint condition with box and original leather case, its 42159 strap and oculars cover it should bring you up to around $750, particularly if its serial production is post 145 (reported to have better coating). The later the serial number the more desirable it will be in the market. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Hello,

I bought before months Trinovid 8x42 BN as demo, with some focusing and diopter problem, without strap and rainguard, at 350€. I repair by own focussing problems, get the plastic cheap rainguard (original cost 40€). It has only limited 2 years warranty, but here in Slovakia, it is quite problematic to "claim" binoculars 3:). My has serial no. 167XXXX and is 2005 manufactured.

To say something about these binos, they are very durable and build like tank, so it beomes my lending and hardcore binoculars, which I use on trips where I am afraid of damaging my primary binoculars EL SV. In compare to EL SV the Trinovid has slightly yellowish and duller image due to silver mirror, but in some situations image looks more enjoyable. In tterms of resolution I was wondering that EL SV was only slightly better. Sweetspot is 85% of 7,5° FOV what is result, not obtained by many modern binoculars (counted 100% sagitarial, 70% meridial), maybe due to 11 element design of optic tube. I found it also very good for stargazing, it has very low astigmatism and coma even on the edges where image was deteriorated by the blurr from field curvature, also problem to obtain this result by many modern binoculars.
Only flaw I found was Chromatic Abberation (CA) in the last third of FOV, which reach high at the edge, but I am very susceptible and I can see it even in EL SV or Nobilem edge.

Sell it only if your need for money is high, or if you plan to buy something new. These binos provide still very good value, in term of optics there is possible to buy newer binoculars which are brighter and has better correction of CA, but are better only in that categories. Price of cheap Chineese ED bins make pressure on market, so the selling price of theese Trinovids may be pushed down to level where they real value will be underrated. I will stay with it also because it is "family silver" :cool:.

Last edited:
As others have said, the Trinovid 8x32 BN is a fine binocular even if it is marginally surpassed in some ways by the latest and greatest. It also has special qualities that make it desirable to some buyers, so it still fetches a decent price.

I say sell it if you’re not using it. I am very sentimental about binoculars – over the years a prized binocular has often been my favourite possession – but if you don’t bear that sentiment toward your Trinovid you should sell it to someone who might enjoy it more fully. You can’t keep everything you inherit from your parents. The Western world has far too much junk clogging up back rooms. It’s wasteful and unsatisfying and quite possibly immoral.

Flog it and put the money towards a holiday with your grandson. Most of my favourite childhood memories are of holidays, some of them with my grandparents.

As others have said, the Trinovid 8x32 BN is a fine binocular even if it is marginally surpassed in some ways by the latest and greatest. It also has special qualities that make it desirable to some buyers, so it still fetches a decent price.

I say sell it if you’re not using it. I am very sentimental about binoculars – over the years a prized binocular has often been my favourite possession – but if you don’t bear that sentiment toward your Trinovid you should sell it to someone who might enjoy it more fully. You can’t keep everything you inherit from your parents. The Western world has far too much junk clogging up back rooms. It’s wasteful and unsatisfying and quite possibly immoral.

Flog it and put the money towards a holiday with your grandson. Most of my favourite childhood memories are of holidays, some of them with my grandparents.

Immoral!?:eek!:|8.|:h?:

Hello Flipbird,

The 8x32 BN is a very good binocular. There are many on BF who would be happy to own and use one bit it has been surpassed by recent innovations. Its internal mirrored surfaces are not dielectric coatings, which provide more reflection and a flatter spectrum. The current binoculars use FL/EDS/HD lenses which cut chromatic aberration.
My advice is to follow ebay and see what prices they fetch.
Leica binoculars are very well made and last for years. You should also try some astronomical observations with them: Orion and the Milky Was should terrific in dark skies.

Happy observing,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:
Thanks Arthur! I'll try that, especially since we live at 8,000 ft. with no air pollution & the night skies are spectacular!
Best, Philip

That is a good point, but many youth today, only look at their phones.

I would hate to waste any Leica that way. It does not hold any special
value to the poster anyway.

I would just sell it and move on. Looking for a value of a nice lightly
used Leica 8x32. It is in the $600. range.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. I am seriously considering the advice to keep it & pass it on to my grandson. And thank you for your estimate on the value; that's kind of what I thought.
Best, Philip

I have these same binoculars and they perform very well up against the most modern models. Very minuscule difference. On average a pair in mint condition sells for around $750 or so.

Me personally I'd suggest you hold on to them if you aren't strapped for cash. They meant something to your dad and he wanted you to have them. As you get older you may develop an interest in nature, astronomy, birds, hunting, people watching or whatever, and its always good to have a nice pair of binoculars to own. Your tastes may ange over the decades and you may find yourself regeretting our decision to sell them. No matter what new technology comes along, these will always be a great pair of binoculars.

Great advice, thanks so much. As for "as you get older, well not sure how much older I can get. Just kidding. I'm 73 and very active as an artist...right now preparing a December Houston exhibition. I plan on doing my best work in the coming years and, thanks to your posts, passing my Leica on to my grandson.
Best,
Philip

That particular binocular has a lot of fans. If you only have one binocular for general and infrequent use I can't think of a better one to own. It is lightweight, rugged and probably still has it's "Passport" warranty.

If you got one that came with the small, zippered lightweight leather case it adds to the value of your binocular. You can keep it on the straps and use it in place of bulky objective and eye piece covers.

I would keep it. Even if you don't use it often. Everybody needs a binocular and you already have an excellent one which is suitable for numerous activities. It's on the small side for an 8 x 32 which makes it very portable.

After you read all the comments here I predict that if you do sell it there will come times in the future when you will wish you had not sold it.

It's long discontinued but here is a nice article about it:

http://www.company7.com/leica/lei32.html

Bob

Great advice Bob. And yes, after reading all these responses to my post, I'm leaning towards keeping it. By the way, it does have that beautiful light weight zippered leather pouch. Very well made with soft, supple genuine leather.

The real reason I was going to sell is to support my watch addiction! I own 12, which is way too many & I'm slimming down to 4 or 5. Selling the others will finance my final (??) purchase of the beautiful Dievas Shadow which, if you haven't seen it, is a unique and very beautifully designed black German tactical watch with a proprietary extra hard steel case plus a coating on top of that, also proprietary, which makes the watch virtually scratch proof. I think the sale of my other watches will just about cover the cost, so there's really no pressing need to sell. Have a look at the Shadow & you'll see what I mean. You'll either love it or hate it; it's a very strong presence. http://wornandwound.com/2013/02/06/dievas-shadow-review/

Greetings. Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN is an excellent pair of binoculars in terms of function and form. And although may not be as bright, or sharp as the Zeiss FL 8x32 (in a side-by-side comparison), it has a very solid performance and other endearing characteristics in handling that makes it the first choice for any walk or hike. In mint condition with box and original leather case, its 42159 strap and oculars cover it should bring you up to around $750, particularly if its serial production is post 145 (reported to have better coating). The later the serial number the more desirable it will be in the market. Best of luck.

Thanks so much! Based on responses to my post, I'll probably keep it.
Best, Philip

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back