• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problems with mail order memory cards (1 Viewer)

I have had a few problems with the Royal Mail "Track and Trace" facility when checking on trackable items. When I have registered a complaint on the web-site, there has been a long delay when waiting for a response. This leads me to believe that there are a lot of unhappy Royal Mail customers (or not enough support staff!) (or both!)
I recently (18th January) had reason to send a failed computer hard-drive to Southern Ireland for warranty replacement, using the Royal Mail Airsure trackable facility. The web-site still shows the item as having an attempt made to deliver on the 21st January. The replacement was returned using the DHL courier service, with a detailed tracking facility that worked!

Roger

I am pretty sure that your complaint should be taken up with the shop at which you ordered the goods.

They took your order and money. As the senders Royal Mail is their customer in this case, and any complaints to them should be coming from the customer. How they have been despatched is not your concern. If the 7dayshop did not obtain a proof of delivery or a reciept of postage that is not your fault, and you should not have to suffer any loss because of it. The fact that you have proof the goods had been damaged or lost in the post means you cannot be accused or suspected of attempting to defraud the company.

You want and should expect delivery of the goods you bought and paid for. What the 7dayshop do with Royal Mail is not your concern. Your contract is with the shop where you bought the goods not with anyone who damages or looses them........................

Johnny1 said:
Thanks all on the advice on reasonably priced cards. would I be ok with a 1GB card in my CP4500? The highest I've used so far is 256MB.
Anything up to 2GB will be OK with the 4500.

Latest update...

Still out of pocket.

Royal Mail yet to reply to my e-mail of 5th Feb. Have sent in a claim form for compensation.

Spoke to the bank (credit card) they reiterated what people have said here about 7dayshop failing to fulfil their contract.

Have written to 7dayshop once again, to let them know what the bank had advised me. Await reply with interest.

Good job I've got enough memory cards for the moment.

bill lord said:
7dayshop have a contract with you to deliver an item, you have a contract with them. You have no contract with Royal mail. 7day shop have a duty to deliver the item to you. I presume you paid for this with your credit card, if you inform the credit card company of the problem they will refund the payment for the item from your bill and will take up the matter with 7dayshop. Your credit card company can not avoid doing this, they might ask you to take it up with 7dayshop again but in the end they must refund your money and take it up with 7dayshop

Bill is correct with this. That's why I purchase everything possible with a credit card for situations like this, I have not the time or inclination to argue with two companies for something not my fault. The CC company will take it up with them.

On a separate note, I find a supply of 128meg cards fine adhering to the "not-putting-all-your-eggs" theory.

My first memory card cost more than some 4Mp cameras cost now! - joys of technology lol.

Steve

A final update...

Never heard anything more from 7dayshop, although they persist in sending me details of their promotional offers.

Got back from holiday yesterday to find TWO replies from Royal Mail - with separate cheques (for different amounts!) - to my original online complaint and my subsequent written claim. The written claim was submitted having not had any response/acknowledgement to the online claim for 2 weeks, yet was processed quicker, with the cheque dated 2 weeks earlier than that sent in response to the online claim.

Despite the temptation, will be ripping one up and banking the other - so no longer out of pocket. Will be more careful where I shop from in future.

The card supplied by DigitalDepot got plenty of use on holiday, and is currently in the hands of Boots, to see how the Motmots etc came out!

I stopped having mail sent to my home address years ago due to thieving PO staff and postmen leaving parcels on the door step. Over the years losses include a pack of Kodachrome from 7dayshop, two A4 enlargements and the original slides (which hurt), and a jumper. For some reason parcels sent to work arrive.

Recently I received a letter which I was supposed to have been signed for by me. The postman signed it himself and then put it through the letter box. I think that is fraud as the sender paid good money for a service which was not provided.

Leif

Ben Rackstraw said:
A final update...

Never heard anything more from 7dayshop, although they persist in sending me details of their promotional offers.

Got back from holiday yesterday to find TWO replies from Royal Mail - with separate cheques (for different amounts!) - to my original online complaint and my subsequent written claim. The written claim was submitted having not had any response/acknowledgement to the online claim for 2 weeks, yet was processed quicker, with the cheque dated 2 weeks earlier than that sent in response to the online claim.

Despite the temptation, will be ripping one up and banking the other - so no longer out of pocket. Will be more careful where I shop from in future.

The card supplied by DigitalDepot got plenty of use on holiday, and is currently in the hands of Boots, to see how the Motmots etc came out!

I admire your honesty Ben. Resisting the temptation not to cash the second cheque - I'm not sure how I would react to the same, I consider myself honest, but might depend on how annoyed I was, and how much the cheque was;-)

Happily you were not out of pocket - but it was still a bad experience.

Steve

nigelblake said:
Check out Digital Depot at Stevenage and High Wycombe, they have 1Gb cards made by Kingstone for less than 50 quid, lifetime warranty too, I've got a few of them and they have been problem free.
Hi Nigel,

I bought a 256 Mb card from Digital Depot after your recommendation. Sadly they are useless as they delivered a Unity card instead of a Kingston card and I have kept coming home to find all my pictures wiped out of the card involuntarily. Always shows up as unformatted despite me formatting it on the PC and in the camera. I have complained to them and hopefully they will put things right but I doubt it.

I did a search for the cheapest 1GB CFcards (directfrom were out of stock) The cheapest Kingston cards I found were at dabs.com, about £46 +p&p. I ordered one and recieved it 4 days later so now I'm all tooled up for a trip to Majorca in 2 weeks.

Johnny1 said:
I did a search for the cheapest 1GB CFcards (directfrom were out of stock) The cheapest Kingston cards I found were at dabs.com, about £46 +p&p. I ordered one and recieved it 4 days later so now I'm all tooled up for a trip to Majorca in 2 weeks.

Don't want to upset you but dabs price for 1gb Kingston is now £46.70inc P&P and VAT.

Card problem

undefined
Ben Rackstraw said:
Very sad that I have to post this, but I thought I ought to relate my recent unfortunate experiences with mail order of digital camera equipment...

Bill Lord is right. It may be late, but you'll get your money back and this time go for another retailer.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back