• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

About to get excited... Used Trinnie 8x42BA (1 Viewer)

David in NC

I stopped by a bird shop today just before they closed and looked at binoculars... I noticed a used set of Trinovid 8x42 BAs. I had to check these out of course having never looked though this incarnation of Trinovid.

I was very pleased with them during a short test outside. I DID notice a terrible close focus distance, which I've now read about since I've got home and researched them. I can live with my Ultravid HDs close focus but these were terrible. I small wren landed on a tree AT LEAST 12 - 14 feet away and I could NOT focus it clearly-although it appeared to be right at the edge of the distance. It would almost focus on it but not quite...

If I WERE so inclined to pick these up as spares what would a good or reasonable price be with them being in excellent condition???

David

Trinovid was excellent at their time, but still very good at today's standard. I'd at least go for BN(closer focus), though.

They built like a tank and seems could last for lifetime. For myself, I'd rather spend same amount of money for other bins as a spare. Many good choices out there, namely Meopta Prostar, Nikon Premier, Conquest HD or ZR Prime.............the list is long.

But, if you are a Leica fanboy, then it's another story.

Andy

David......I have both the 8X42 BN and 8X32 BN. Bought the 8X32 four years ago for $575......and I use it every day. The 8X42 BN was my first birding bin purchased new way back when and is mostly used for checking feeders......the view is still pleasing. If the price is right and you are ok with the close focus distance and don't mind the weight then seriously consider it. I've never considered selling mine.

For a personal sale, $700 would be about medium. A shop may want more. But a BN would focus about as close as your Ultravid, yet be "worth" no more. Since that's important to you, consider holding out for one. People ask prices on Ebay that strike me as way too much. I guess they're pretending these are ultra-rare classics, just because they are old. Although excellent in design, build quality and optical adjustment, thank goodness they are not rare. Also the older coatings will be noticed, in the slightly dimmer view. So don't play their game. Make a reasonable offer if you see one you like.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back