• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven C1 10x42 review (1 Viewer)

Perhaps I missed it, but this time of year I like to hear about bins pointed to the south under overcast skies. How is CA control when you try to bring out the worst?

It's no biggie, so if you are concerned that seeing CA will bring more/become more noticable then by all means ...

Do Not,

Seek,

the Treasure.

So I finally sent my C1's back to Maven, and today received this kind reply:

after receiving and reviewing your C1s they are performing as intended. We have made the detents as bold as possible, while respecting patents in place by other manufacturers. I apologize that these won't work for you. I can send them back to you or just perform a refund through Amazon if you prefer

As I expected, the smooth ball bearing action with which the eyepieces operate were as designed. For my purposes, there just isn't enough friction to keep them in place when I use them in the field. This is very unfortunate since the optics are absolutely superb.

So I finally sent my C1's back to Maven, and today received this kind reply:

As I expected, the smooth ball bearing action with which the eyepieces operate were as designed. For my purposes, there just isn't enough friction to keep them in place when I use them in the field. This is very unfortunate since the optics are absolutely superb.

If you really like these bins why not get two rubber bands and stretch and twist them around the eyecups and the bino optical tube? This should be enough to keep the eyecups in place.

Lee

If you really like these bins why not get two rubber bands and stretch and twist them around the eyecups and the bino optical tube? This should be enough to keep the eyecups in place.

Lee

Lee, I did that with a pair of Bruntons that I also liked. I found that when I did on rare occasion want to use them while wearing sunglasses, or that when I had them mounted on a tripod for glassing (when I turn the eyecups all the way in) it was a pain. And really, I just want things to work without modification for once. It's a pity that such good glass has this annoying (to me) feature.

Lee, I did that with a pair of Bruntons that I also liked. I found that when I did on rare occasion want to use them while wearing sunglasses, or that when I had them mounted on a tripod for glassing (when I turn the eyecups all the way in) it was a pain. And really, I just want things to work without modification for once. It's a pity that such good glass has this annoying (to me) feature.

I can understand that and of course it makes the binos look a bit 'homespun' and the rubber bands can perish or be attacked by ozone and crack and fall off at the wrong moment.

Lee

On the Brunton's, I actually cut a piece of bicycle tire tube to the length I needed. Turned them inside out and you couldn't really even tell they were there if you didn't already know.

I thought it was a great solution until a few weeks of field use when I realized what a pain it was when I was wearing sunglasses, or if I wanted to mount them on a tripod and "look around" the view - as I normally do when glassing with binoculars. That's an area where long eye relief is very handy for non-eyeglass wearers.

One thing I've learned about myself by now, is if there is a way I can be unsatisfied with a pair of binoculars, I'll usually find it within a few weeks of use. You're talking about a guy here who found fault with Swarovski SLC's and sold them. LOL

As many here know, there is a LOT more to being satisfied with binoculars than just the image they produce. I've learned that I'm willing to give up a little bit in the area of image if the binoculars fit and function really well in the field.

I've probably owned 20+ pairs of binoculars in the past 6-7 years. Strangely enough, a mid-priced pair of Alpens I used to own (and should have kept) still remain one of the most useful pairs of field glasses I've ever owned. Everything about them was a pleasure to use. But they had some blurring at the edges of the field of view, and I sold them to raise $ for the Swarovskis. Should have kept those Alpens...

I suppose that's why I've had my Sightron Blue Sky 8x32's for so long now. There just really isn't anything unpleasant about them.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back