• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help ID United States Hawks (1 Viewer)

SAY37

Hello! I'm new here. Can you please help identify the species of hawk in these two photographs? Thank you!

Spotted in Chicago, IL area December 2017.

nydw11.jpg

2r2t7jb.jpg

Agree, both are Red-tailed Hawks. 1st one is a juvenile; you can see its thin tail bands.

I can't see the tail well enough on the 2nd one on my monitor to see if it has the tail banding of a juvenile. It looks like a solid color.

Bob

RTH Hawk's irises don't become dark until after the Hawks get their full plumage at 2 years of age.

Wheeler addresses the iris colors in the first paragraph on the Red-tailed Hawk in his Western Edition of Raptor's of North America at p. 318.

".......Adult plumage is attained when 2 years old. Iris color gradually darkens with age. Birds in full adult plumage when 2 years old may still have rather pale irises (see Mindell 1985). .........."

Bob

Last edited:
RTH Hawk's irises don't become dark until after the Hawks get their full plumage at 2 years of age.

Wheeler addresses the iris colors in the first paragraph on the Red-tailed Hawk in his Western Edition of Raptor's of North America at p. 318.

".......Adult plumage is attained when 2 years old. Iris color gradually darkens with age. Birds in full adult plumage when 2 years old may still have rather pale irises (see Mindell 1985). .........."

Bob

Okay, thanks. I did read about this a while ago in an article by Jerry Liguori...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back