• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lincoln's sparrow?? Rocky Mountain NP, Colorado, USA (1 Viewer)

Nysteen

Hello everyone.
This bird was seen 2th of August 2017 in Rocky Mountain NP, Colorado. Could it be a Lincoln's sparrow??
Regards
Nysteen

Attachments

• _DSC2751.jpg
    _DSC2751.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 59
  • _DSC2752.jpg
    _DSC2752.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 44
It is a juvenile, and juvenile Lincoln's and Song Sparrows are very similar. The references I have are not consistent about how to distinguish them; some criteria would seem to favor Lincoln's for this bird, others Song.

Looks like a White-crowned Sparrow to me, though an interesting plumage. Heavy streaking made me think juvenile, but the head stripes are black and white (an adult characteristic) instead of brown and buff.

I would expect the breast streaks to be broader in a juvenile White-crowned Sparrow, but that might explain why it looks not quite like either Lincoln's or Song.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back