• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LCD Hoods (1 Viewer)

snowyowl

I've been using the mini Extend-a-view device for a while now but because of the pixelations find that I have difficulty telling if the images are in really sharpe focus. I was thinking of trying a lens hood instead and the one announced by Kaiser (shown in this month's PCPhoto mag.) looks like a good one but I can't find a source. Any comments on this product or suggestions of other products would be helpful as would any ideas for sources. I'm using a Nikon Coolpix 4500.

snowyowl said:
I've been using the mini Extend-a-view device for a while now but because of the pixelations find that I have difficulty telling if the images are in really sharpe focus. I was thinking of trying a lens hood instead and the one announced by Kaiser (shown in this month's PCPhoto mag.) looks like a good one but I can't find a source. Any comments on this product or suggestions of other products would be helpful as would any ideas for sources. I'm using a Nikon Coolpix 4500.
No answers to my query as yet. Someone else must be experiencing the same problem and have found a better tool than Extend-a-view.
:h?:

I Dan. I have the same problem with the Xtend-a-view shade and the CP4500. The 2x magnification does make the LCD grainy, but I still find I can get much better focus using it than without.

I haven't seen the Kaiser product so I don't know what it's like.

I know there are some non-magnifier shades available, I think one came bundled with the CP4500 from Nikon, but I don't find them much use as my eye needs to be a good distance from the screen in order to focus on it - which does mean using a magnifier of some sort. Personally I found the Xtend-a-view the best out of the ones I tried - but it's not perfect.

snowyowl said:
No answers to my query as yet. Someone else must be experiencing the same problem and have found a better tool than Extend-a-view.
:h?:

I have an extend-a-view and I get my best results when NOT using it ! I only use it in bright conditions where I can't see the screen. I would be interested in trying a non magnifying hood too.

Linz

Lindsay Cargill said:
I have an extend-a-view and I get my best results when NOT using it ! I only use it in bright conditions where I can't see the screen. I would be interested in trying a non magnifying hood too.

Linz

Hi Dan,

What I've been using is a jeweler's loop that I attach to my CP990 using velcro strips (surrounding the viewfinder). I've wrapped the loop with black electrical tape and velcro at the base - It allows me to perform a critical focus on the viewfinder, and in sunny weather allows me see the viewfinder.
For me the cost is priceless..... I just peel it off when I'm not digiscoping and carry it in a pocket.

Jerry

I've dumped the Extend-a-view after 5 minutes of use, a waste of money. I use with my CP4500 a simple Hoodman fabric/cardboard shade with a rubber band and my reading glasses. Lately I'm using the CP8400 - and the EVF eliminates the need for a shaded LCD.

snowyowl said:

Hi Dan
I have the 4500 and I am experiencing the same problem. I bought a cheap bellows magnifying shade a while ago and too found the focusing a problem. So I took the hood lens out and am just using the bellows shade. Light still gets in and spoils the screen image because to see the screen in focus I have to leave a gap between my eye and the camera. We are all suffering the problems early photograohers had when they had to view the image on the back of a glass plate. Their solution was to view the screen under a black cape attached to the camera. I have tried this and it works, although I avoid doing it when I am not alone!!! - black materiel is cheap, easy and light to carry around. I am thinking of buying the Nikon magnifying hood HL-CP10 to aid focussing, but again I suspect in bright daylight it might be difficult to use.

I've given up up on extend-a-views and hoods and now use a hand towel. It makes a comfortable pad on the shoulder when carrying the tripod and goes over head and scope as per the Victorian photographer to shield the LCD in bright conditions. You get the odd strange look but it works !!

I read your comment Nigel G - I had no idea someone else was using the cloth-over-the-head method. I will be braver about using it in future. I have discovered since my last post that the nikon shade is purely a shade with no magnifyers.

I have recently tried a Jessops LCD shade - it is the "bellows" type that extends. The 1.5-1.8"" model fits the 4500. At £16 it is a bit steep but still cheaper than the Nikon. Used it on Monday and thought it worked well, keeping light from straying on to the screen. Any bad pics were undoubtedly down to my own errors and or the limitations of digiscoping as photo capture method ! You can remove it, but because it flattens quite low I keep it on and it fits easily with Camera in Lowpro DRES30 bag. It attaches with velcro ala the extend a view.

Would recommend it to you guys who, like me, don't want the maginfication.

Linz

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back