• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

approaching birds? (1 Viewer)

peteh

Hmm just looked at the subject... sounds like this question should be in an agony aunt column...
anyway!

When using digislr and slr gear how do you decide where to stop when approaching a rare bird?

Is it just a matter of edging up very slowly until it looks like the bird is getting a bit edgy or is it better to wait till other people have had the chance to see it before attempting to go closer?
(I don't mean at twitches as I am assuming everyone is at a set distance away.)

Thanks
Pete.

Most Photographers i have met seem to stop when they have scared the bird away, observed a new technique today, a well known local birder on his hands and knees crawling round a wood with a squeaker, thats one piece of fieldcraft i have never encountered before.

You live and learn.:)

Well, I do tend to crawl around but it is usually where I am alone and not surrounded by any other birders. Most times though, I find a quiet spot and sit it out and wait for a bird to cross my camera's field of vision.

Pete,

Assuming you are talking about sneaking up on a bird that is already present, if other birders are around, I always make sure they have seen the bird first. Then I do slowly sneak up on it, usually crouching or on my belly. I do watch for signs of agitation and will stop when I see this. If it continues, I will back off. However, sneaking up on a bird takes considerable time. I do decide to stop when I have agitated a bird. However, I always take a photo from my first position (the distant one), and several along the way since one does not know what his/her behavior or spontaneous events around them will do. I figure, better to have a record shot than no shot at all.

KC, whatsamatter, are you shy? ;)

Another trick that can help you get close is to approach in a spiral or zig-zag, so you're heading towards the bird at an angle, not straight at it

Michael

Thanks,

I think I might be over panicking, but it is about my worst fear (in this area) that in the process of trying to get a photo
I scare something away never to be seen again.
(similar to what Harry experienced recently!!)

I suppose if I practice the techniques on my garden birds it might help when I am out in the field. (Not sure what my neighbours will make of me crawling around my garden though :)

Dont worry, Peteh most of us have at some time or other have scared the bird away , good idea to practice on your garden birds im sure you will soon be getting some great pics.

I find the sit & wait approach works best,study your subject & find out what it`s habits are,what perches it likes to use.

Regards Steve.

Given our unique(ish) situation Pete, I would make sure I had a recognisable shot of the bird (if it's a rarity), then put the news out and wait for someone else to see it before attempting to get closer. Still, you can definitely adopt the sit and wait technique whilst waiting for for others (me, in particular) to arrive!

Chris

Last edited:
cuddy said:
Most Photographers i have met seem to stop when they have scared the bird away, observed a new technique today, a well known local birder on his hands and knees crawling round a wood with a squeaker, thats one piece of fieldcraft i have never encountered before.

You live and learn.:)

I was going to say that :)

I let the birds come to me these days, though I did lie down on my front (in wet sand) and wriggle, like a seal, towards a littoralis Rock pipit recently. I realised I wasn;t too close when a dog walker went between me and the bird, gave me a funny look, and kept going. The bird didn't stop feeding either.

I approach low and with something behind me.
As quiet as possible as noise seems to scare birds as much as anything
As Michael said approaching at a tangent is useful too......

If alone or with a birding mate I often approach very low often on the deck and move on my stomach or backside slowly.....seems to work.

Try going out migrant hunting without a scope and your fieldcraft improves no end.

I have chanced the wrath of twitchers by approaching birds in this way and have been very successful (no broken bones yet) but when others have seen I have got close they just pick up the scope and walk bolt upright, often silhouetted, but slowly (cos birds have bad eyes!) towards me.....and flush the bird!

In a jungle or the like I alternate fast walking with slow walking and spend periods just waiting, often at clearings or edge or large fallen trees.

Avoid standing in silhouette and talking loudly about your latest tick on the Stupid Isles (courtesy Not BB)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back