• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big birds battling - Scottish Borders (1 Viewer)

Stonefaction

Dundee Birding....(target 150 in 2024).
Scotland
While travelling through the Scottish borders (along the A708 Moffat - Selkirk road) on holiday a few weeks ago, I snapped a bit of an airborne fracas from the moving car. It's not really in focus and has been cropped, so it's not the best. Wish we'd been able to stop, so I could have got better photos (and a definite ID for all 3).
I'm pretty sure the top bird is a Crow - possibility of Raven, given the location, sizewise Carrion Crow seems more likely though. The bottom bird appears to be marked like a Buzzard. I've been unable to pull any sort of colour from the middle bird (although there may be a few slightly lighter areas on the underwing) despite playing around in Capture NX2.

Any suggestions?

Baz

Attachments

• query.jpg
    query.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 287
Thanks for looking, and replying, guys.
I thought initially it might be a Golden Eagle (Birds In Scotland seems to hint at birds at least wintering in the area I saw this one), so when you've suggested White Tailed Eagle that did surprise me a little, although they can, and do, turn up anywhere these days.

So I've looked at a lot of photos tonight trying to disprove/prove either ID including a large batch of photos I took of the re-introduced White Tailed's up this way on the east coast (I've attached one).....and I'm probably more confused than I was when I started (although now possibly better informed as to the differences between the species). I'm still leaning towards Golden (but probably less so than I was earlier) but I'm far from certain.

Attachments

• 2927652398_b6ca9b5be0.jpg
    2927652398_b6ca9b5be0.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 68
Golden Eagle on a downward flap, thus giving the impression of thicker wings. Tail too long for WT

Would also agree. Head, bill, neck ratio. Wing span (WTEagle? No.) Tail length. All point to Golden Eagle IMHO.

The lower bird a Common Buzzard. The upper a blur.

Possibly another of a pair, defending their territory.

Of course, in my humble opinion! ;)

A great blurry photo id challenge!

I thought Golden Eagle on the middle - tail length. Assume the fingers too long for Honey Buzzard etc.

Then depending on the relative heights of the birds and then the distances ie relative sizes of the birds you have to come to the following if they are in roughly the same height - the 'crow' is too big and must be a Raven (if a crow sp., could even be another Red Kite). The bottom bird is also too big for Buzzard and must be a Red Kite (if not another eagle) - apparent tail shape, wing markings and length of primary fingers fit this species better.

Thanks for looking, and replying, guys.
I thought initially it might be a Golden Eagle (Birds In Scotland seems to hint at birds at least wintering in the area I saw this one),

Golden eagles are still hanging on...just... in Borders region. One pair bred in 2008 according to the Borders bird report

I've looked at a lot of photos tonight trying to disprove/prove either ID including a large batch of photos I took of the re-introduced White Tailed's up this way on the east coast (I've attached one).....and I'm probably more confused than I was when I started (although now possibly better informed as to the differences between the species). I'm still leaning towards Golden (but probably less so than I was earlier) but I'm far from certain.

Two key features to consider (which I learnt on Skye) are wing-shape and tail- to head-length ratio. In White-tailed the wings are essentially parallel-edged whereas in Goldies the wings have a more-pronounced dihedral (S-shape). It's true that in the photo in this thread the middle bird appears to have parallel-edged wings, but I agree with birdboybowley that this is because the wings are on the down-flap. The other key feature though, the tail- to head-length ratio, is clearer. These lengths are roughly equal on a White-tailed Eagle but on a Goldie the tail is about three times the length of the projecting head. This strongly suggests the bird in your photo is a Goldie.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back