• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (2 Viewers)

At Strumpshaw today I saw just one Swallowtail on the Lackford Run (I almost stood on it), several Small Tortoiseshells (some very fresh and some really faded), two Meadow Browns, a very bright Comma (my first of the year!), Large Skipper, Speckled Wood and Red Admiral.

The reserve had its 'Springwatch Big Butterfly Day' today and there were quite a few parents with buggies and children wandering about. There seemed to be plenty for them to do but, as usual for their events, the weather didn't cooperate and it was cloudy, windy and spitting with rain in the afternoon. A shame.

Ron

Three Large Skippers, five Meadow Browns, two Smortoiseshells, Speckled Wood all along the Tas Valley Walk west of Tharston (TM 174946) yesterday.
Today - Painted Lady, Red Admiral, Meadow Brown at Thurne.

Many Dark green frits at Holkham today, also a White admiral and this marvellous Broad-bordered Bee Hawkmoth - A first for me! Sorry about photo quality - only had my mobile phone with me...

Attachments

• bbbh (Small).jpg
    bbbh (Small).jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 98
Lots of silver studded blues (males) at Buxton heath today, along with singles of red admiral, small tortoise, meadow brown and a white something.

Would you be able to tell me where on Buxton Heath? I had a look the week before and couldn't find any, wondered if I was in the right area! Pm me if you prefer!

A Silver-washed Fritillary has been reported seen yesterday at Wheatfen reserve. Worth keeping your eyes out for a large orange and black butterfly in woods in the south and center of the county. Also at Foxley wood, holt country park and kelling heath, where they were seen last year. Have they bred somewhere in the county?

Would you be able to tell me where on Buxton Heath? I had a look the week before and couldn't find any, wondered if I was in the right area! Pm me if you prefer!

From the proper carpark, head up the left hand side of the reserve towards the conifer plantations at the top. About 2/3 of the way up is an area of silver birch saplings and heather, which held around 30 or so males. At the top of the reserve along the plantation walkway is another good area.
I suspect you were a week too early, they appeared to be freshly emerged and all males.

Holkham today in blustery conditions with intermittent showers:
2 white ad.
2 white letters
2 dark green frit.
1 ringlet
Also comma, meadow brown, large skipper, red ad, speckled wood & large white

Horsey had 10 Dark green today, all freshly emerged. A couple of small heath braved the wind as well. Hickling Broad had good numbers of swallowtails flying - several people reported seeing 5+, in the gaps between showers - and a few new small torts as well.
White-letter emerging means that we're just waiting on small skipper, gatekeeper and chalkhill blue for a full set. (Though there's new broods of grayling and wall to come in July.)

Essex Skipper

Staying at Kelling Heath from 10th July for a few days. Does anyone have any reliable sites for Essex Skipper in the surrounding area, and will they be on the wing then?

Thanks.

May I ask whereabouts at Holkham you are seeing the butterflies?
Been birding in Norfolk for years but am just getting to know some of the butterfly sites - in the past they have been wherever I have been birding.

Thanks,

Hugh

May I ask whereabouts at Holkham you are seeing the butterflies?
Been birding in Norfolk for years but am just getting to know some of the butterfly sites - in the past they have been wherever I have been birding.

Thanks,

Hugh

Hello Hugh

Walking from Lady Anne's drive, there is a bench on the left hand side of the footpath, about 50m before the Washington hide. Next to the bench is a flowering privet, and on the opposite side of the footpath, an elm tree. The white-letters were coming down from the elm to nectar on the privet.

Walking further west, past the joe jordan hide, until you emerge from the pine woods onto dune. The dunes fringing the west end of the pines are good for the dark green frit.

regards, Kieren

I wasn’t the only one streaking today !

Felbrigg had lotsa bees, although butterflies were not as much in evidence as they should be. I was after the Purple Hairstreaks, but they hadn’t appeared by late morning. A Small Tortoiseshell was the only species of note.

Gramboro' had a Small Skipper.

Holkham, west of Lady Anne’s Drive, was more fruitful, in terms of its specialities. 2 White Admirals were zinging around within 200m of the Drive (up to 7 in the week, according to an employee of the successor organisation to National Naturism- pertinent, yet not pert, when I went for the Frits !), but were far too quick to be captured photodigitally.

A pair of White-letter Hairstreaks cavorted above their beech. I was able to ‘grab’ them, as they fed on a privet. The RH shot shows the letter 'W' quite well.

A Green-veined White sat supinely.

After a few sorties, attempting not to disturb a sun-worshipping couple (!), I was able to get reasonable pix of the Dark Greens, in the concentration of Ragwort, a few hundred metres west of the northern exit of the boardwalk.

[Essex Skipper can usually be found just over the other side of the west bank from the pay hut at Cley Beach car park. Look carefully in the vegetation.]

Attachments

• 234psesm.jpg
    234psesm.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 195psesm.jpg
    195psesm.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 65
  • 157psesm.jpg
    157psesm.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 132psesm.jpg
    132psesm.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 063psesm.jpg
    063psesm.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 63
Its a bit early for more than the odd purple hairstreak , though its an "early year" for many butterflies. I do not usually see them until the last days of June and July is a much better month. I also find purple hairstreaks often fly late with few about before midday and their most active period ( weather allowing ) between 2 pm and 5pm and often good numbers about to 7.30 pm. I have even caught them in a moth trap on warm muggy nights along with small and large skippers.

Saw my first white admiral today , six days before the previous first sightings in past years at Swanton Novers

The absolute best spot for purple hairstreak is the gazebo in Sheringham Park. From the top you are above the insects and can look down on them as they flit from tree to tree. Around 4pm, on a warm, still day is best.

Mind you, they were also on the little oak tree in the carpark at Zak's on mousehold last year for those in Norwich.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back