• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (42 Viewers)

well digs are booked staying at holme if the snow stays away
will arrive sat morning and go straight to sculthorpe to see the bullfinchs thanks O.R
be the 1st visit this year not been in feb before so not sure what we will or will not see
sunday planning day at titchwell

Also keep an eye out for Greater Spotted Pecker, Marsh Tit (Plenty of them), Willow Tit (Showing well on occasion near the woodland hide), Water Rail and Nuthatch, had one calling near the back of the reserve on Saturday afternoon.
Best of luck!

are the pink foot geese still at holkham

spectacular views of tens of thousands a week ago so can't believe they've all gone. GL

Also small flocks seen from Titchwell at weekend including a snow goose visible to the East never got as far as Titchwell itself.

Last edited:
800 pinkfeet at Holkham on Tuseday ,but never saw any yesterday nor any comming in off the sea this morning. Still quite a few in the Broads , so some could move over at any time.

Strumpshaw RCP

Couple of photos of the female Red-crested Pochard: quite hard to get good views, since it seeme to stay at the far end of the Brich Hide pool.

Attachments

• RCP.jpg
    RCP.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 110
  • RCP3.jpg
    RCP3.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 98
spectacular views of tens of thousands a week ago so can't believe they've all gone. GL

Also small flocks seen from Titchwell at weekend including a snow goose visible to the East never got as far as Titchwell itself.

Snow Goose or Ross' Goose (used to be known as Ross' Snow Goose)
There have been a few Ross' seen with the Pink-foot this winter (of various opinionated origin;)) but I haven't heard of any Snow Goose reports this year (a Ross' was reported from Titchwell on a few occasions).

are the pink foot geese still at holkham

Saw an good number (2000+) of Pink-feet on Burnham Marshes (immediately west of Holkham Pines) with a large number 200 + of European Whitefronts parallel to the end of Holkham Pines - which included 5 Greenland Whitefront. Also thousands of Brents in the area etc... yesterday.

Has the western Sandpiper disappeared now or has it simply stopped being reported, haven't seen a report either way for last couple of days.

cheers nick

Couple of photos of the female Red-crested Pochard: quite hard to get good views, since it seeme to stay at the far end of the Brich Hide pool.

I found it last week in front of the reception screen but did not put the news out as it has a big yellow plastic ring on it's left leg I'm afraid (26th was when I saw it)

Sacha

Fame at last

Stuart will be broadening his area of expertise soon: granting us exclusive access to his recipe for upside-down cake, on his return from what promises to be a wizard trip to Oz.

He will, of necessity, be taking his passport: no problems, thus, on Norfolk re-entry.

And his company will expand, to include the newly-formed adjunct: Rent-a-Birding-Byte-in-Time. The current Lord Chancellor in the Coalition Government is, of course, a renowned birder- even having a Nutcracker named after him- and is rumoured to wish to be associated in some way. This will mean that Stuart, fortunately, neither has to wear a full wig nor Hush Puppies.

currently masses on Blakeney Freshmarsh

I note that Josh relates how outdoor Holy Communion is being held in Blakeney; in these temperatures ?

Dreamed of finding Kildeer, last night, in slightly surreal circumstances, which I cannot now recall. It was on shingle somewhere and promptly disappeared. The beach had groynes. Look carefully, please !

We're off at 8.30am to Tokyo 2moro via Schipol, With luck should see the Crane on Saturday and the Pochard first thing Sunday morning. Then bullet train back to Tokyo, a morning's birding in the forest of Kurizawa, back on Monday evening, straight into work in London on Tuesday am.

And with two intrepid members twitching Japan (how envious am I?), anything is now possible.

so snow forecast for the weekend
does that mean we will see lots of snow buntings and snow geese or
will it be (s)no(w) birds at all
I will get my coat

Colney long pit and Costessey pits both largely frozen today. Sadly, nothing really exciting on the small ice-free patches.

The Tufted duck count at Costessey ski pit has risen to the giddy heights of 14. Also, at least 10 Bullfinches around the entrance track (anyone else think there are more of these around than usual?) and a Woodcock flushed from the woodland edge, which is the second here in the past week.

A Knot at Whitlingham country park in amongst the swans and ducks on the grass was a surprise find yesterday afternoon, cant be many people with Knot on there norwich list, shame it didnt hang around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back