• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke Endurance 85m ED or Kowa TSN883? (1 Viewer)

giosblue

The Hawke seems to get pretty good reviews for £550, so does the Kowa at £1950

Big difference in price, what would I be missing out on if I bought the Hawke? The scope wouldn't get heavy use and never used in a harsh environment.

I'm tempted, any Hawke users on here?

Ron

Hi Ron. I use the Hawke and am really happy with it. I've only had a brief view through the big Kowa and it really impressed me. It's a BIG difference in price though. The main differences I see between the Hawke and the top dollar scopes is under poor light conditions. Some of the members of the local club have various Leicas and Swarovskis and it under these conditions that I can see where the money has gone.

Rich

Thanks Rich, when you say you're happy with the Hawke, but you were impressed with Kowa.
What would be the difference in good daylight. Is the Kowa noticeably sharper and brighter?
Is the FoV wider.? my concern is not the money as such, but would I use it enough. If I was a really keen birder and I travelled all all over the country, then I wouldn't mind paying. I would only be using it at my local nature reserves from a hide and for the most part in good weather.

Hi Ron. It was a brief view scanning the Severn Estuary for waders. From memory the conditions were pretty good as well. I believe it was a fixed mag eyepiece so gave a wide field of view. It just gave a really easy, relaxed view. If that makes sense? If I had the budget (which I don't) I think I'd be tempted. The other scope I really like was one of the CBC members ATS 65 Swarovski which I think he picked up for just over a grand used.

Rich

My only advice would be to be sure whether you want straight or angled - you make the investment (at the level you want) so you don't want to make a simple mistake. Think about where you will be using the scope and how, whether you have experience of one or the other.

I have a straight scope, which is great, but now I live in the mountains an angled would be easier! In a hide an angled is easier but otherwise I like the straight...

Hi,

I don't know either scope in question, but from what I have seen in alphas so far (Swaro ATS, Leica 82, Zeiss 85) none made me run and buy it over my old Kowa (with a current eyepiece). They were better but it was mainly a little bit brighter in bad light (the Kowa is stll single coated).

I have yet to see a Kowa 880 or Swaro ATX though - both have a wider field of view than anything else with their current zooms.

Regarding straight or angled - I prefer angled for two reasons: I'm pretty tall and it's hard to find a light tripod which is tall enough for me to use a straight scope without using the column (which decreases stability) and it's also a lot easier to use an angled scope with multiple people - looking through a straight one which is set up too low is no fun.

Joachim

"Whilst the Endurance ED not be the premier scope in the Hawk Sport Optics stable, it has almost all of the most important features and components which means that it matches many that come with much higher price tags in almost all areas and to be honest I am amazed that they are able to offer such a high spec scope at such a reasonable price.

The very high end scopes that cost more than three times (and sometimes 4x) the cost of this one do still have the edge, but that edge is getting blurred and the difference in most areas is really not that great. So if you are after a very high performing spotting scope at a fraction of the cost that you will pay for an alpha product then I feel this Hawke Endurance ED 20-60x85mm spotting scope should most definitely be on your very short list."

http://www.bestspottingscopereviews.com/HawkeEnduranceED20-60x85SpottingScope-13.htm

I think it entirely depends on how much money you want to spend,
the Kowa is definitely a better scope, if it is worth the extra money, only you can decide.

I also had the Kowa in mind when buying a scope but the ATS65HD was better value for money for me. The smaller package and weight was also important for me.

Last edited:
Honestly, an alpha scope shows his goods mainly above 40x and when digiscoping.

If your plan is to do visual with a 30x fixed eyepiece i think you can save a lot of money.

Hi Ron. It was a brief view scanning the Severn Estuary for waders. From memory the conditions were pretty good as well. I believe it was a fixed mag eyepiece so gave a wide field of view. It just gave a really easy, relaxed view. If that makes sense? If I had the budget (which I don't) I think I'd be tempted. The other scope I really like was one of the CBC members ATS 65 Swarovski which I think he picked up for just over a grand used.

Rich

It's funny you should say that.

"It just gave a really easy, relaxed view. If that makes sense?"

That's exactly what I said when the Kowa rep was demoing it to me.
And then thought, what have I just said, I bet this bloke thinks I'm a right pillock.

It's funny you should say that.

"It just gave a really easy, relaxed view. If that makes sense?"

That's exactly what I said when the Kowa rep was demoing it to me.
And then thought, what have I just said, I bet this bloke thinks I'm a right pillock.
:-O:-O

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back