• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod for Hawke Endurance? (1 Viewer)

sbooder

an english birder in france
Hi All,
need some advice please, on a tripod to go with the Hawke Endurance ED 85. I like a simple tilt & pan (video head) and aluminium legs ( I don't like ball heads).

I am not too worried about weight, I would rather have something heavy than a wind wobbler. I will be doing some digiscoping and my budget will be around £300.

The camera I will be using is a Nikon D3100 (simple but light), and the Hawke Digi-scope Adaptor Endurance.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Simon. I paired mine up with a Slik Master Classic D3. Quite a hefty setup but really enjoying using it. Gives a very steady image.

Rich

Thanks Rich. I did look at that tripod and wondered if it was OK, sometimes you get worried if something is of a low price but it does look robust.

Thanks for the recomendation Rich, I got the Endurance ED 85 and Slik Master for Xmas. The only thing I do not like is on the tripod. I do not like the leaver that allows the scope to swivel on the mounting plate, it keeps working loose. Apart from that love the combo. Weight not a problem in my book.

No problem Simon. Not that I'm bias at all;) but I think you've got a great combination there. Very good value as well. The lever occasionally worked lose when I first had mine but hasn't done so for ages.

Enjoy,

Rich

Hi Rich,
thanks for the reply. One other thing I noticed the other day, the handle would not lock the head in a certain position on the tripod, it locked the tilt but not the swivel. Is this normal?

Don't worry, I have sorted it. It was my strap getting in the way and not letting it tighten enough...D'oh!

I like it. I am still getting used to the smaller field of view that comes with a zoom EP. My old scope was a Kowa TSN82 with a fixed 32x EP and of course the field of view was bigger. I am going to get the Endurance fixed EP in a month or two, so that should help with both field of view and digiscoping.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back