• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for a good scope. (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
I am looking for information about a good 70-85 mm spotting scope for visual (no digiscoping) birding.
I thought about several options: for example ..
- An authentic spotting scope such as a Zen 82ED Ray or HD Vortex
- A good scope astronomical such as an Astro tech, Celestron or William Opctics, all with a prism 45.
- Or a "hybrid" spotting scope (if you can call it that) as the Celestron Regal for instance ...., with the possibility of using other 1.25 "eyepieces star.

I do not usually make Birding in bad weather, rain and cloudy .. but I would like, that was robust and give a good image with good contrast and sharpness ..
I too have made astronomical observations, from time to time ... (with my binoculars).
I would like to give me their opinions and advice, my budget is no more than 600-800 euros.

I thank you in advance for your opinions.
Many thanks
Wachi.

Hola!

Definitly your choice is the regal, 65 or 80 depend your needs. I do belive, althoug the zen and the vortex were better (i doubt it) as i always say in visual those distance become closer than when digiscoping, and equal if you put a good fixed eyepiece on the regal. But i think the regal is already in the same level and then better with a fixed ep. Check if maybe there is an astro adapter for the zen or the vortex. A regal m2 100 used probably are over 800 but you need to search and find and maybe there are no one out there now.

Last edited:
Hi,

if you can use an astro scope depends on your use. I have an 80mm ED doublet refractor pointed permanently from my bedroom window on some favorite dead tree across the river which always has birds on it. This offers great views either visually or with a motion detection cam.
It only gets moved for clear skies nights...

But I also have an old 77mm scope for mobile use - the ED APO is 2.5kg plus diagonal/amici and eyepiece - and some of the nice astro EPs weight up to one kg... the old Kowa is 1.6 kg including EP.

A spotting scope which can take astro EPs (either directly or via an adapter) would be a nice intermediate option - just keep in mind that they usually only take 1.25" EPs (so wide field is kinda limited), might have a limited prism size (so you might not even be able to use a full 1.25" field stop) and might not come into focus with all EPs. So try before you buy or make sure you get them from a store with a good return policy.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back