• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (1 Viewer)

Slightly off topic! I'm going to be travelling around northern Scotland from 28th May through to 5 June though working too: can anyone point me in the right direction of any current Killer Whales if any are hanging around please but mainland ideally. I could possibly fit in a day trip to Orkney or western islands

What is the best monitoring website for news on these currently?

Thanks
Matthew

Thanks for this Dave, this site is one I had as a possibility, about as far as you can get by car !
Good campsite nearby so sounds just the job

Matthew

Some interesting action over the weekend. First up was some legitimate #patchgold with a pair of Bullfinches seen in the scrub near the waterworks yesterday morning. That's the first time I've seen that species here in the spring. I guess they might be breeding not too far away.

At around midday I was near the marsh and heard a funny scratchy song from behind me and immediately noticed a cracking male Red-backed Shrike perched in a willow along the burn. It posed there for a few minutes before disappearing off. Mark came out for a look, by which time the male had relocated to some of the young conifers. He almost immediately noticed there was a female with it! This was a bit interesting and we wondered what a pair might be up to, in what qualifies these days as 'suitable habitat'. That's why we were a bit cagey with putting news out, in case anyone's wondering. It appears that neither bird is around anymore though, so I guess they were just passing through.

Not too much else was about in the morning, aside from the usual plethora of warblers, a Lapwing and a Redpoll. In the evening, a couple of Whimbrel were in Walker Park. I sometimes reckon late May birds are already heading south rather than being late birds still going north. A juvenile Stonechat was on the south bank and the male Red-backed Shrike was showing well in the marsh, sitting on a post and demolishing a wasp.

Attachments

• RB Shrike_Girdle Ness_280516a.jpg
    RB Shrike_Girdle Ness_280516a.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 71
  • RB Shrike_Girdle Ness_280516b.jpg
    RB Shrike_Girdle Ness_280516b.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Stonechat_Girdle Ness_280516a.jpg
    Stonechat_Girdle Ness_280516a.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Yellowhammer_Girdle Ness_280516a.jpg
    Yellowhammer_Girdle Ness_280516a.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Whimbrel_280516a.jpg
    Whimbrel_280516a.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 87
Today was a bit quieter and, despite quite a bit of searching, there was no sign of any shrikes. Two Whimbrel (probably different to yesterday's) were on Nigg Bay, where there were also three Dunlin and, rather pleasingly, a recently fledged Ringed Plover. Offshore a Manx Shearwater and two Puffins went north. Twelve Goosanders, mostly drakes, were gathered in the harbour.

Attachments

• Whitethroat_Girdle Ness_290516a.jpg
    Whitethroat_Girdle Ness_290516a.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Sedge Warbler_Girdle Ness_290516a.jpg
    Sedge Warbler_Girdle Ness_290516a.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 58
Distinctly summery today, with bright and fairly warm sunshine. Birds were mostly just breeding species, with almost no waders and no obvious migrants. Seven Manx Shearwaters and two Puffins were moving north. A female Stonechat was on the south bank. Still quite a few warblers singing, including two Garden Warblers around Nigg Bay.

I tried taking pictures of hirundines coming to bathe in the marsh. Mixed results but these were okay.

Attachments

• House Martin_Girdle Ness_050616c.jpg
    House Martin_Girdle Ness_050616c.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Swallow_Girdle Ness_050616a.jpg
    Swallow_Girdle Ness_050616a.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 63
Hmm, over a month since I've been out and about in Torry. I've made up for it slightly by going out both days this weekend and, for midsummer, it's been pretty lively with 68 species seen or heard.

Yesterday the best birds were two Crossbills flying east over St Fittick's. There have also been some 'patch scarce' Rooks around in the corvid hotspot of the playing fields - two yesterday and five today. The whole area is running with young birds: Willow Warblers, Linnets, Goldfinches, Reed Buntings, Meadow Pipits. Very good to see.

Waders are starting to move through. Yesterday there were two Sanderling and two Dunlin on Nigg Bay. Today there was one of each of those species but also Whimbrel, Turnstone and Common Sandpiper. Puffin and Manx Shearwater were both offshore yesterday afternoon. 56 Goosander were in the moulting flock in the harbour.

Your photos are getting a lot better than when I used to visit more often. I guess Dr Grubb doesn't have as much to scoff about these days?

You and Dr G will be delighted to know that some quite poor photos will be appearing in this post.

So, back at the Ness today in cool, showery conditions. Still lots of birds around the marshes, which were thick with Reed Buntings in particular. Five Rooks were again hanging about the playing fields, along with seemingly half the city's juvenile Herring Gulls and Oystercatchers. Two juvenile Stonechats were around the pools. An Emerald Damselfly and 'Highland' Darter were on the wing, despite the cool conditions.

Most tantalising was a two second view of what appeared to be a plain Acrocephalus warbler near the railway. Interesting enough in itself, and I wouldn't say it looked obviously like a Reed Warbler. I'm not able to go any further than that sadly. Makes you wonder what's lurking about out there though.

The sea was quiet but one Puffin went north and a couple of Harbour Porpoises surfaced. Also relatively little in terms of waders, with five Dunlin, ten Turnstone and not much else. The Goosander flock in the harbour was up to at least 74.

I was beginning to think it was going to be a slightly subdued day when I hit upon a, dare I say, 'full fat' patch tick. I was walking towards the eastern end of the car park in Greyhope Bay when a medium sized grey bird shot over the grass towards the golf course. Oof! A juvenile Cuckoo! A bird that ought to be more regular here (and maybe is) but definitely some serious #patchgold. It perched briefly on the fairway before flipping over a hummock. I couldn't find it again but it may not have gone far.

Here are some cracking shots of it in action.

Attachments

• Cuckoo_Girdle Ness_300716c.jpg
    Cuckoo_Girdle Ness_300716c.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Cuckoo_Girdle Ness_300716a.jpg
    Cuckoo_Girdle Ness_300716a.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 66
  • Cuckoo_Girdle Ness_300716b.jpg
    Cuckoo_Girdle Ness_300716b.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Cuckoo_Girdle Ness_300716d.jpg
    Cuckoo_Girdle Ness_300716d.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 64
Your photos are getting a lot better than when I used to visit more often. I guess Dr Grubb doesn't have as much to scoff about these days?

Well if he's not actually on patch and posting (no doubt off twitching or gadding off to some foreign climes) then no. But good to see the pictures are right back on form

Despite being the last day of July,Rock Pipit,Sand Martin and Common Whitethroat still feeding youngsters round "The Ness" this morning.

Another showery day in Torry today, with a few bits and pieces to show for it. A Common Sandpiper was along the north shore, along with a Dunlin. Waders weren't all that diverse but numbers of Turnstone, Redshank and Curlew seem to be building. I was suprised to see a Snipe flying around Greyhope Bay. Another flew up from the marsh at St Fittick's.

Offshore was very quiet with almost nothing moving. Both Harbour Porpoise and Bottlenose Dolphin were around though.

For the third time this year I saw former #patchgold candidateStock Dove - this time with a pair flying north from Tullos Hill towards Torry. There were still two Rooks on the playing fields and, interestingly, there now seemed to be two different Hooded Crows there - the regular paired up bird and a lone individual. With the usual Hybrid Crow also around, there was quite a mix of corvids on show.

My first Wheatear of the autumn was on the edge of Tullos Hill near the railway bridge. Also lots of young Stonechats about.

Despite it being a fairly average day for birds, I managed to record 64 species. 60+ species now seems to be the norm here, at least from May through to, hopefully, the autumn. In the past I normally only got that sort of total on really good days during migration. It's a measure of how many more species are around regularly these days, even compared to last year. I wonder what sort of total will be possible on a really good day over the next month or two.

Some photos for Dr G to marvel in wonderment at:
1. Dunlin
2. A decidedly youthful Song Thrush
3. A Kestrel - one of three seen today

Attachments

• Dunlin_Girdle Ness_310716a.jpg
    Dunlin_Girdle Ness_310716a.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Song Thrush_Girdle Ness_310716a.jpg
    Song Thrush_Girdle Ness_310716a.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Kestrel_Girdle Ness_310716a.jpg
    Kestrel_Girdle Ness_310716a.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 31
For the second year In a row,a pair of House Martins have nested on Balnagask Road.This must be a late nest,as I looked earlier this Spring/Summer and the previous nest had fallen down onto a ledge.It was the young Inside that alerted the nest to me as they were calling to the parents.

For the second year In a row,a pair of House Martins have nested on Balnagask Road.This must be a late nest,as I looked earlier this Spring/Summer and the previous nest had fallen down onto a ledge.It was the young Inside that alerted the nest to me as they were calling to the parents.

House Martin is one of many species that seems to be doing very well locally. There are more nest sites now with new housing but they also seem to be benefitting from the wetlands, which they often feed around and also collect mud from.

I had a concise wander around early this evening. Things were generally quiet, with wader passage still not really much in evidence. 73 Goosander were on the harbour. Out to sea, ten Manx Shearwaters and two Common Scoters moved north. A Snipe was again around the marshes.

My first night of petrel ringing at the Ness was broadly speaking successful in producing my second patch tick of the week. A couple of hours with the nets up brought in three Storm Petrels. Two of these were already ringed - not sure where but it'll be interesting to find out. Thanks to Will and Mark for organising things.

Here are pictures of all three birds, showing some different angles. Cracking things.

Attachments

• Storm Petrel_Girdle Ness_040816a.jpg
    Storm Petrel_Girdle Ness_040816a.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Storm Petrel_Girdle Ness_040816b.jpg
    Storm Petrel_Girdle Ness_040816b.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 47
  • Storm Petrel_Girdle Ness_040816c.jpg
    Storm Petrel_Girdle Ness_040816c.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 43

Users who are viewing this thread

Back