• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa Service (1 Viewer)

peterginsburg

Around two weeks ago I sent in my TSN-824 to have the gummy surfaces of the prism housing and sun shade cleaned/repaired. That was all I asked to have done. The objective did have some very old scratches and I sent in the eyepiece as well thinking they might just check it out for cleaning. I got a phone call yesterday to confirm my name and address and saying it would be in the mail soon. Soon, yes, but shortly thereafter I got an email with the invoice (total cost $0.00) and an email from UPS saying it was expected to be delivered today--and it was!! Honestly I'm not even sure that it's not a completely new scope and eyepiece. WOW!

Peter

Can I infer from your wording, or lack thereof, that Kowa replaced the objective lens? Do you think they replaced the rubber on the scope as well?

Sounds like great service, either way.

Kevin,

Yes, I was just about to make that clarification, the objective was replaced. The serial number on the mounting ring is the same so I assume it is the same scope. I'm not sure what you mean by the rubber, but the scope surface does seem to have a hard feel to it now so I doubt it would be called armoring. I don't have the original serial of the eyepiece but, as good as it looks now it's likely the same one as well. Thanks for asking.

Peter

Honestly I'm not even sure that it's not a completely new scope and eyepiece. WOW!

Peter

Peter

I think it was this statement that gave the impression that the whole exterior appearance of the scope had changed dramatically and gave Kevin (and me) the impression that new armour might have been fitted. However having checked photos of this model I now realise that it is not rubber armoured, but that still leaves us wondering what was so dramatic that you at first wondered if the scope had been replaced.

Lee

The original instrument (bought 25 years ago) had a tan body which had a thicker coating. What I just received is the scope with a hard, green exterior. This is the same as mentioned by cumc57 in response to a threat titled "sticky bodies of 820 series." I have no idea whether replacing the body might not be an easier option than completely stripping and repainting the entire body. I just noted that lettering now shows TSN-820 series vice TSN-824 (which I believe it had originally). The perfection of the finish and lettering gives the impression that it's new and not simply repainted.
Peter

Kowa made some replacement parts for the old 820 that are not rubber coated..I had an old 823 repaired a few years back in the Kowa technical service in Spain,before they closed their shop,and the new part that was added to replace the back end of the prism housing,was hard finished plastic,painted tan(not green).it had a rough finish,IIRW...I bought some of the inventory of this shop when they closed,to get some replacement parts for my 823( a different unit),hoping to get the non rubberized pieces,but the pieces i got are all rubber coated ..
I can also add to how nice ande helpful Kowa USA have been in the past . Kowa Europe is so expensive now for repairs / service that i asked Kowa USA for an estimate,prior to my trip last summer ,when i visited the states,and they gave me an 80 dollars fee fixed price for cleaning and repurging ..I am not surprised reading that they waived the fee on your scope as is not the first time i heard this about Kowa USA.
The part i am not so sure about is the objective replacement deal,..my current unit is pretty darn good,definitely the best unit of the four 820 prominars i have owned over the years(three 823s and one 824)and a real cherry fluorite lens,so I would be pretty upset if they return my scope with another lens...

Good evening, I take this opportunity to ask you a question: my Kowa 8.5x44 today perfect as both mechanical and optical, has a small problem with the rubber cover, in some places has slightly detached.
The binoculars are very usable but you can hear the rubber moving slightly, I sent an email to Kowa Europe who kindly replied.
They would like the binoculars to make a quote and then proceed with a consent to the repair. The warranty is 10 years and the binoculars were purchased in 2013, I do not think a fault attributable to the person but a factory defect, I should not pay anything in my opinion, what do you think? thank you.

I've had my 8.5 longer than you have had yours with no problems with the rubber. I also have the 10.5's but they get less use. Every contact I have had with Kowa USA has been extremely positive but I do agree it sounds like a factory error.
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back