• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Diascope 85: is the 20-60 Eyepiece a good Choice? (1 Viewer)

TobiasK

Hi,
a few days ago, i bought a new zeiss eyepiece 20-60 on ebay.
it simply was too cheap not to take it ;)
but now the question: i think i read the 30x eyepiece would offer a better quality than the zoom
so, what do you think? does digiscoping work well with the zoom?
i know gerd rossen uses a 20-60 zoom with his swaro scope, but zeiss?

greetings from bavaria, germany

bye
tobias

I read somewhere that a fixed eyepiece is better for digiscoping than a zoom eyepiece so I invseted in a 30X for my Ziess Diascope. However, I have no experience with a zoom because I don't own one. I would think a zoom would work equally well since it is a high quality lense. That is until you are zoomed in to the closest possible field of view and you lose lighting. Somewhere in the 20-30 range is probably best. A good camera, tripod and remote shutter cable helps too.

The Zeiss 20-60x Vario zoom is excellent in every way - and offers easily the widest field of view of any available zoom. It is used for digiscoping by many top nature photographers (see Andy Bright's digiscoping forum).

TobiasK said:
Hi,
a few days ago, i bought a new zeiss eyepiece 20-60 on ebay.
it simply was too cheap not to take it ;)
but now the question: i think i read the 30x eyepiece would offer a better quality than the zoom
so, what do you think? does digiscoping work well with the zoom?
i know gerd rossen uses a 20-60 zoom with his swaro scope, but zeiss?

greetings from bavaria, germany

bye
tobias

Tobias, I do remember reading a review of the Zeiss zoom and 30x eyepieces, from a good review source, and it confirmed there was no real advantage in using the fixed eyepiece over the zoom, the zoom is that good.

Regards

John

Thank you for the replies
yesterday the eyepice arrived: brand new, no signs of use
i am happy
if there wasn't the long delivery-time by zeiss - my 85 zeiss will arrive in about 5 weeks :bounce:

but if there is sill the unanswered question for myself which camera to use, i can wait....;-)

bye
tobias

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back