• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (5 Viewers)

Well done bongo, I reckon it's that haggis you mix in to attract them.

Would you like the recipe?

Male sparrowhawk just passed through on his usual attacking flight path but missed. Sadly the neighbour's cat was more successful with its assault on a Chaffinch.

On a better note, 8 LTTs on the peanut cake (which includes a hearty mix of Scotch Porridge Oats).:t:

Would you like the recipe?

if it works that well,yes please!!!:t:

Male sparrowhawk just passed through on his usual attacking flight path but missed. Sadly the neighbour's cat was more successful with its assault on a Chaffinch.

On a better note, 8 LTTs on the peanut cake (which includes a hearty mix of Scotch Porridge Oats).:t:

great to see you like your oats bongo B :)

The flickers were back, this morning, first thing--just two, at first, politely taking turns at the feeder. Then, a third one showed up and started a fight with the first two. After one very noisy scuffle, they all flew off. I couldn't tell whether they had red or gold tails, but I've been spotting both sorts lately.

No pictures, this time: I was still in bed when they came, and didn't want to risk frightening them away by getting up. The feeder is RIGHT by my bedroom window; they could definitely see me.

Been busy on the feeders!! Loads house sparrows! And few weeks ego I forgot to mention I had a robin feeding from the hanging seed feeder! Strange..

a few nice sightings in and around the garden today - 2 Jay over (first since Feb) and a Goldcrest in the conifers, while currently have 4 Bats flying around the garden

2 goldcrests squabbling on the path 5 feet in front of me yesterday while I cut the grass, absolutely beautiful birds :t:

And a pair of collared doves made regular appearances over the weekend, they might be keepers......

I dont think it gets much better than this

2012 Garden species No. 57
&
Garden Life Bird No. 71

Red Kite - just seen it circling high above and then drifting towards Lyme park.... Just rang Hampers who has picked it up again over Poynton :t: :t: B :)

also another Jay :t:

Attachments

• IMG_6493.jpg
    IMG_6493.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
We are trying to attract more and varied species to our garden and are putting out good varieties of food. However virtually everything we put out is devoured immediately by Woodpigeons, Collared Doves and Starlings!!!, any ideas how we can get some food left for less voracious feeders?

2012 Garden species No. 57
&
Garden Life Bird No. 71

Red Kite

Superb, well done:t: And a photo to bootB :)

anyway before I was distracted by the Kite I was taking an image of the returning Dunnocks

Nice shot.

We are trying to attract more and varied species to our garden and are putting out good varieties of food. However virtually everything we put out is devoured immediately by Woodpigeons, Collared Doves and Starlings!!!, any ideas how we can get some food left for less voracious feeders?

Try the caged squirrel proof feeders that will also keep the larger birds away.

as bongo suggests try squirrel proof feeders

I have found that if I stop putting out suet for a while the Starlings seem to disperse elsewhere..... for a short while anyway

A roving flock of LTTs just came through, quick feed and off, I think about 8 birds

Attachments

• IMG_6510.jpg
    IMG_6510.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6508.jpg
    IMG_6508.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 45
I have found that if I stop putting out suet for a while the Starlings seem to disperse elsewhere..... for a short while anyway

Although the Starlings take more than their fair share of food, I fear the species is going the same way as House Sparrows and quite enjoy having them visiting. They definitely have more character than most garden birds!

it just continues ....

2012 Garden species No. 58
&
Garden Life Bird No. 72

2 x Ravens over the garden, heard them along way off, came right over in a flying display and interacting aggressivly with each other, headed out towards Woodford B :)B :)

also 2 Grey Wagtails over (again), Buzzard and a single LTT

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back