• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parrot in Amazon (1 Viewer)

Pantanal1

Wes Syposz
This is a parrot, taken in Mato Grosso State, Brazil, in the border of the Amazon reinforest. Anyone has an idea what i is? Unfortunately I did not find the drawing in any of my books.
Unknown parrot

Thanks for your help.

Cheers, B :) (Brazil is a tropical country, I need a lot of beer here)
Wes

Nice one. This is the worlds smallests Macaw: Red-shouldered Macaw (Diopsittaca nobilis). The large patch of bare facial skin is almost exclusive to Macaws. This species is significantly smaller than any of the other macaws. Compared to the other small (but still significantly larger) green macaws also note the relatively limited bare skin (for a macaw) and the overall green appearence (no red on belly or yellow collar) with a bluish front and red underwing coverts (distinctive in flight. Often you can also see this as a red shoulder patch when perched). Also note the pale upper mandible (obs; nominate subspecies found in northern South America has an all black bill).

Last edited:
cuckooroller said:
Rasmus,
I am presuming this is race cumanensis? Asking because I have three races of this, nobilis, cumanensis and longipennis.

Actually, in the Pantanal (incl. Mato Grosso) it is longipennis, with cumanensis being further north in Brazil.

Thank you Rasmus and Steve. This photo was taken in extreme north of Mato Grosso, in the Amazon rain forest region. Is it stil the same race as in Pantanal?

Cheers,
Wes

Pantanal1 said:
Thank you Rasmus and Steve. This photo was taken in extreme north of Mato Grosso, in the Amazon rain forest region. Is it stil the same race as in Pantanal?

Cheers,
Wes

Yes, northern Mato Grosso is still ssp. longipennis. Ssp. longipennis and cumanensis meet in northern Goías & Minas Gerais where they are known to intergrade at several localities (for this reason there are indications that they actually represent a cline rather than subspecies). These two subspecies are virtually impossible to ID except in hand. Ssp. longipennis average a bit larger and has a slightly more yellowish hue to the underparts than cumanensis.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back