• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Late Osprey, Angus, Scotland 8/11/14 (1 Viewer)

Stonefaction

Dundee Birding....(target 150 in 2024).
Scotland
Out birding locally today in Angus, Scotland and was rather surprised (to say the least) to have an Osprey circling round above us at Murton Nature Reserve, just east of Forfar for a minute or so before it drifted off westwards.

Not an uncommon sighting around this area, they even nest within a few miles, but it is now the second week in November! My previous latest Osprey sighting was probably around mid-September. Anybody had one later than this in the UK?

Attachments

• DSC_0759 20141108_132148res.jpg
    DSC_0759 20141108_132148res.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 129
Late osprey

Not serious, but maybe this is Beatrice, who migrates just to the south of Spain where she settles in her favourite area for the entire winter. I wish more of our ospreys would do this instead of risking the dangers of Africa.

Out birding locally today in Angus, Scotland and was rather surprised (to say the least) to have an Osprey circling round above us at Murton Nature Reserve, just east of Forfar for a minute or so before it drifted off westwards.

Not an uncommon sighting around this area, they even nest within a few miles, but it is now the second week in November! My previous latest Osprey sighting was probably around mid-September. Anybody had one later than this in the UK?

Very strange indeed and the latest I've ever known, so will she migrate (Which i very much doubt) and does anybody know if the bird is old enough to breed.

Thanks

Damian

Given that many migrants from Scandinavia and the Baltic States (areas within Western Osprey breeding distribution) are late this year, your Loch Fithie:t: record might not be quite so unusual as it sounds, especially if the bird concerned is a juvenile, which from tracking records, are prone to wander.
MJB

I remember looking this up topic before-a few years ago we had an osprey in the Scottish Borders well into November whilst doing winter Atlas work. There are a few records even nto December, presumably as MJB says Scandinavian or Russian young birds

I assumed that Scandinavia was the most probable starting point for this bird's journey (although I did briefly wonder about a Gonzalo-displaced American one - saw something on a Faroes birding blog recently about a possible. From the limited info I could find on identifying American birds it doesn't appear to fit). I was surprised to see one quite so late having never seen one much later than maybe the second/third week in September. It doesn't surprise me that there have been later sightings though. It certainly wasn't in any great hurry, looked like it was scanning for a meal.

MJB, the bird wasn't over Loch Fithie when we saw it at first - most definitely over Murton. It did however seem to decide that was a better option and glided over the trees taking it above Loch Fithie (never realised that was the name of that bit of water before your post).

MJB, the bird wasn't over Loch Fithie when we saw it at first - most definitely over Murton. It did however seem to decide that was a better option and glided over the trees taking it above Loch Fithie (never realised that was the name of that bit of water before your post).

It's now over 60 years ago when I used to explore the area between there and Balgavies (pronounced Buhl-guy)- my granny lived in Letham, and I would catch the Arbroath-Forfar local train to Balgavies Station, spend a couple of hours exploring, then walk over to Letham, where I had left a bike.
MJB

That would probably still be quite a productive stretch now. I imagine the bird numbers would've been a good bit higher back then though.

That would probably still be quite a productive stretch now. I imagine the bird numbers would've been a good bit higher back then though.

It was more the numbers on the steam locomotives that was the main attraction, then! But yes, the carpets of flowers, the variety of insects and the richness of the wild fruit crop are vivid memories. The northern banks of Fithie and Balgavies were sun traps in spring and summer, and even when it was windy, much of it was sheltered by the topography or the woodland.

I always carried a small pair of metal clippers so that I could cut my way through brambles to reach a good viewpoint. The smaller lochs and lochans held lots of squabbling Little Grebes and the bushes were alive with passerines.
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back