• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Edinburgh (1 Viewer)

West End Birder

I have a trip to Edinburgh soon which will give me a few hours to spend there. I will have transport and just wondered if there is anywhere within say an hour's drive where I could see any of the following :

Geese (e.g. Barnies, WFs PFs, Beans, etc)
Divers
Hooded Crow
Red Grouse
Anything else interesting I might see easily here rather than with difficulty at home in Hampshire?

Thanks

Rob

Hi WEB

You should get most of these at Aberlady Bay and Musselburgh.

Bean Geese, if they're around are usually near Falkirk, but it would need someone with up-to-date local knowledge to pin them down.

Proper Hooded Crows are really only found much further norther and west.

There should be loads of geese at Vane Farm.

I'm not sure of the easiest place for you to find Red Grouse, up in the hills around Edinburgh somewhere.

I have a trip to Edinburgh soon which will give me a few hours to spend there. I will have transport and just wondered if there is anywhere within say an hour's drive where I could see any of the following :

Pink-footed Geese - Aberlady
Divers - Musselburgh, Gosford Bay
Hooded Crow -no
Red Grouse- Lammermuirs
Anything else interesting I might see easily here rather than with difficulty at home in Hampshire?

Surf Scoter Musselburgh; Red-necked Grebe Gosford Bay; Velvet Scoter and Long-tailed Duck Musselburgh; Purple sandpiper North Berwick

Thanks

Rob

David

Look on Kris Gibbs excellent website Birding Lothian for latest sightings. Bean geese and Wf in E Lothian and well within an hour from your list

Divers
Hooded Crow
Red Grouse

Thanks

Rob

Closest place I can think of for hooded crows is Arrochar, but you'll never make it there in less than an hour as it's over on the west side of Loch Lomond.

You do get the occasional Carrion x Hoodie appearing. I've had one on Blackford Hill, one in Holyrood Park a couple of times and one at Musselburgh. But I'm pretty sure you'll be unlikely to find any pure Hoodies around Edinburgh.

No, not at all offended! It's just banter :) nothing compared to some of the looks I get from people my age when I'm out in my hiking boots with bins and notepad in hand. Oh well, I'm not bothered, each to their own :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back