• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (52 Viewers)

Hi everyone. Thought i would just share this with you. I have been to Aldi this morning and amongst the bird seed, fatballs, nest boxes etc they have a couple of field guides one for mammals and one for birds. I bought the bird one and have to say its a little gem. Over 180 birds and the photography is excellent. At £1.99 in an age where a mag is an average of a fiver i think its a bargain. i will be going back for the mammals tomorrow. best wishes Dennis

Nice shot Chris - was a tad cold that afternoon in the hide wasn't it?

The bullies were glowing in the gloom though...

Attachments

• BullfinchUW.jpg
    BullfinchUW.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 83
Went down the Mecca on Saturday Curlews and Herons looking sorry for themselves on the ice only the Pochard and Tufties(20 each) looked at home crammed in to a shrinking open water. Frozen half hour waiting for no show Lesser Spot saw 2 male Blackcaps feeding in the Ivy and a snipe in the Salwarpe, had a good chat with Pete Walkden.

Problems continue with the hide from Johns photos it looks like the viewing slots are massive but also quite recessed which could limit the view and encourage people to sit further forward also there doesnt appear to be any 'windows' downstairs. The angles seem strange like nothing is straight.

This was from the Lincs naturalist union
http://rogerparsons.info/bulletinportal.html
"Meanwhile, an exciting find during this month has been 2 harvest mouse nests, . Both were found in areas where young blackthorn re-growth, coppiced by Butterfly Conservation for brown hairstreaks, is appearing among tall grass and herbs"

Perhaps some more tennis balls on sticks?
encouraging stuff for all the work being done might even get Dormice

Went down the Mecca on Saturday Curlews and Herons looking sorry for themselves on the ice only the Pochard and Tufties(20 each) looked at home crammed in to a shrinking open water. Frozen half hour waiting for no show Lesser Spot saw 2 male Blackcaps feeding in the Ivy and a snipe in the Salwarpe, had a good chat with Pete Walkden.

Last Sunday there were a male and two females along the Salwarpe so it sounds there at least 4 Blackcaps over-wintering. This is certainly the best performance I can recall.

This was from the Lincs naturalist union
http://rogerparsons.info/bulletinportal.html
"Meanwhile, an exciting find during this month has been 2 harvest mouse nests, . Both were found in areas where young blackthorn re-growth, coppiced by Butterfly Conservation for brown hairstreaks, is appearing among tall grass and herbs"

Perhaps some more tennis balls on sticks?

Checked a couple of the tennis balls that are in reedbed by the oak tree on Sunday but no bedding inside.

Hi Trev,

Strangely, I think I remember reading that Dormice haven't been recorded this side of the river Severn within Worcestershire, despite there being loads of apparently suitable habitat - oak woods with Hazel coppice. They must've been present historically but now they're restricted to a few woods and forests in the west of the county.

I have seen Harvest Mice at Upton in the past and a couple of Bank Voles have been very active and visible lately - such as Saturday by the moors feeding station.

Problems continue with the hide from Johns photos it looks like the viewing slots are massive but also quite recessed which could limit the view and encourage people to sit further forward also there doesnt appear to be any 'windows' downstairs. The angles seem strange like nothing is straight.

Rest assured Trev there are windows on the ground floor, they are just hidden by the top of the fox fence. We do have concerns about windows (especially the two large windows on the top floor which dont swing through 180 degrees) and the fittings that the windows have been kitted out; we hope that for once that the Trust will hear our concerns and react accordingly.

Last Sunday there were a male and two females along the Salwarpe so it sounds there at least 4 Blackcaps over-wintering. This is certainly the best performance I can recall.

Phil,

Dave, Gary and I has two males last week along the public footpath with just one female in the corner opposite the Swan.

Mike

Phil,

Dave, Gary and I has two males last week along the public footpath with just one female in the corner opposite the Swan.

Mike

Well I had a female in the corner opposite the Swan and another female along the public footpath on the corner of the lorry park so there's at least four in the area.

Last edited:
Thanks Pete.When i got home on Saturday after defrosting i invested in a Bob Hart style hand warmer from Amazon.£12.10 with free p&p.Got to be worth it to save the hurting fingers.

The Bullies always brighten a dull day.Superb shot mate.

Chris

Well I had a female in the corner opposite the Swan and another female along the public footpath on the corner of the lorry park so there's at least four in the area.

Phil. I think you need to choose your words with a little more care, or at least mention the word Blackcap. Very young eyes might be viewing this forum.:-O

Des.

Phil. I think you need to choose your words with a little more care, or at least mention the word Blackcap. Very young eyes might be viewing this forum.:-O

Des.

It was Mike who started it by having two males ... ;)

Will be interesting to see if this sustained presence of Blackcap will result in a very early singing bird ahead of the migration influx.

I've ordered a Zippo handwarmer from Amazon this morning as it happens too. Probably be in the burns unit of the local hospital this time next week :)

Was good to chat to you Trevor, on Sunday. 2 pairs of eyes are always better than one, to try to find these lesser (maybe should be renamed never-on-weekends) spotted woodpeckers.

Hi everyone. Thought i would just share this with you. I have been to Aldi this morning and amongst the bird seed, fatballs, nest boxes etc they have a couple of field guides one for mammals and one for birds. I bought the bird one and have to say its a little gem. Over 180 birds and the photography is excellent. At £1.99 in an age where a mag is an average of a fiver i think its a bargain. i will be going back for the mammals tomorrow. best wishes Dennis
Yeah, nothing beats Aldi (but Lidl occasionally)!:t:

Cheers Brian,

My prediction that they'll be back before the hide is finished is looking ever more likely. :C

Could be a disaster Dave, the utter incompetence of this hide building is now definately beyond belief, I have been taking a back seat and not had much of an opinion as I expected it to be completed well before now, but with the return of the Avo's imminent the ineptitude of the Wildlife Trust is truely staggering :C

Do you have the figures for their Upton arrival dates in conjunction with their first recorded arrival dates at the coast?

New Hide

Rest assured Trev there are windows on the ground floor, they are just hidden by the top of the fox fence. We do have concerns about windows (especially the two large windows on the top floor which dont swing through 180 degrees) and the fittings that the windows have been kitted out; we hope that for once that the Trust will hear our concerns and react accordingly.

On Monday morning, as there were no workmen on site, I took the opportunity to have a look inside the hide. Whilst the construction is obviously sound it is the attention to detail that is lacking. Apart from the numerous gaps between the boards and the frame none of the window frames actually fitted into the openings.

The weight of the two large windows are such that if the fixings were not 100% foolprove and one swung shut it would get pretty close to decapitating anyone sitting there.

On a less serious note the overhang at the front of the shelf appears to small to take a hide telescope clamp.

Thanks Alan and Gavo. These and several other concerns about the Flashes Folly (further alliteration not required) have been relayed by various VWs and other SMEs to the Trust. :-C :t:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back