• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (25 Viewers)

I popped into see the new hide on Sat afternoon. Didn't venture upstairs as I got called away, but seems decent enough. Good low angle from the downstairs area and comfortable enough too. Slightly restrictive windows, but I guess it's my fault for having a bazooka...

Some pics from that afternoon and more on my Flickr page. Fab displays by the lapwings. Avocets sadly kept their distance.

Hi Pete
If your bazooka wasn't so big you wouldn't have a problem8-P
joking apart. the 'spec' for the downstairs window was much smaller than the built ones, that's why we had to modify it. It will be interesting to see how close the lapwing come to the hide . Last year several nests were only a few yards away.
B :)John
ps - great pics mate

Last edited:
Here's a tog comment 8-P ;

try going to aperture priority, choose a mid to low f stop, reduce ISO as low as poss- will increase the quality of the image but keep an eye on the shutter speed (500 and above if poss), and if necessary stop down a quarter to half a step - its the +/- button, if it's still washed out. You could also change the metering to 'spot metering' which will take the exposure from the subject its pointed on - so if it's on the bright Avos then it will adjust it but could leave the background too dark. Alternatively, put camera down, lift binoculars and enjoy ;)

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I thought you were a birder8-P
Yes I will try that Gert:smoke:

Had a tremendous morning on the Flashes following a very slow and gingerly saunter down to the hide. A flock of half a dozen Redpolls were in the pair of Larch trees and Chiffchaffs were singing and fly-catching a-plenty. I saw six Avocets from the path near the feeding station as I approached the hide but I wasn't ready for Des's news of fourteen on arrival, with four LRPs there was lots to watch. Scribbled a weather/water report in the log book and eventually decided enough was enough. But, the presence of two gentlemen struggling with the door to the 'inner sanctum' downstairs made me change my mind and give the cheap seats a go for the first time. Having already discussed with Des et al that it was really a case of having to be in situ downstairs when something came along (Vs trying to move downstairs if a bird is discovered close in from upstairs) I didn't hold up much hope as nothing had ventured anywhere near the hide since I had arrived. But, low and behold, within 10 minutes a pair of Avocets were feeding merrily in the bay to the left. Fantastic views... I only hope my images come out all right - they're downloading from camera to PC as I type. The farmer was spreading nitrate on the fields to the rear of the hide today. I don't know what effect (if any) this will have on the possibility of further Wheatear sightings...

Here are a few shots from earlier today:
Firstly, a record shot of one of half a dozen Lesser Redpolls that were feeding in the pair of Larch trees next to the boat park.

LRedpoll_resize.jpg

A little further down the path towards the steps this Reed Bunting popped up obligingly.

Reed Bunting_resize.jpg

At the old feeding station this Chiffchaff was fly-catching way above my head.

Chiff_resize.jpg

The LRPs tended to stay at mid-distance.

LRP_resize.jpg

This Carrion Crow was remarkably obliging.

Carrion Crow_resize.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, one small power cut later... Where were we? Oh yes, there were a few of these beauties knockin' around, too!

Attachments

• Avo_resize 1.jpg
    Avo_resize 1.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Avo_resize 2.jpg
    Avo_resize 2.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Avo_resize 3.jpg
    Avo_resize 3.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 70
  • Avo_resize 4.jpg
    Avo_resize 4.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Avo_resize 5.jpg
    Avo_resize 5.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 92
Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Avocet (14)*-------------------------LRP (4)
Oystercatcher (2)--------------------Lapwing (15)
Teal (22)-----------------------------Kestrel
Raven--------------------------------Lesser Redpoll (6)
B H Gull (c300)

*A couple of the Avocets were feeding on the 1st flash in front of the feeding station hide, a long way from where they normally feed.

MOORS:
Gadwall (3prs)----------------------Shelduck (2)
Shoveler (9)------------------------Tufted Duck (45)
Teal (8)-----------------------------Snipe (3)
Oystercatcher (4)------------------Greylag Goose (2)
Siskin-------------------------------Raven (2)
Kingfisher---------------------------L R P (probably one of the four from the Flashes)

SAILING POOL/ED RES:
G C Grebe (11)---------------------Little Grebe (2 reported)
Sparrowhawk (2 displaying)-------Goldcrest

Des.

Nothing to add to Des's round up except there were 4 Greylag on the sailing pool when we left and a chiffchaff singing and showing well also on the sailing pool.

Stunning shots!

Hmm, one small power cut later... Where were we? Oh yes, there were a few of these beauties knockin' around, too!

Some stunning shots here - you must have got very lucky with the light and the birds? Well done - better get down there myself!

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Avocet (14)*-------------------------LRP (4)
Oystercatcher (2)--------------------Lapwing (15)
Teal (22)-----------------------------Kestrel
Raven--------------------------------Lesser Redpoll (6)
B H Gull (c300)

*A couple of the Avocets were feeding on the 1st flash in front of the feeding station hide, a long way from where they normally feed.

Des.

Des
Have seen the Avocets feed there, but usually when the young are almost fledged. I think the food supply is building up as it gets warmer. Also I think the channels we dug out in the central area, coupled with the mild winter, might have kept a supply of larvae and eggs for this spring. In previous drought years the following spring food supply appeared to be very low (judging by the very poor wader showing). It is certainly not as a available as last year, but this spring does seem to be a couple of weeks behind last year cf breeding activity.

Des
Have seen the Avocets feed there, but usually when the young are almost fledged. I think the food supply is building up as it gets warmer. Also I think the channels we dug out in the central area, coupled with the mild winter, might have kept a supply of larvae and eggs for this spring. In previous drought years the following spring food supply appeared to be very low (judging by the very poor wader showing). It is certainly not as a available as last year, but this spring does seem to be a couple of weeks behind last year cf breeding activity.

Slightly off-topic John, but who planted what looks like Hawthorn along the Salwarpe?

Des.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back